Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine guard

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:01 AM
cmonster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine guard

want to put an engine guard on,anyone know which one will work with the mini board set-up i have now?i have a set of lindby style,but wont clear the boards because of their shape and take some rigging as they use the same holes as the board/hw peg mounts

Attached Thumbnails engine guard-front-shot-silver-bullets-eng-guard.jpg   engine guard-000_2186.jpg  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:41 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a HD one and it works with forwards but not sure if your floorboards will clear or not.

Pic of the mounting area may help you

Old 01-03-2011, 12:46 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Can't directly answer your question, but engine guards have come up before and Harley makes two types. I have one with my mid-controls that bolts to the forward-control frame lugs with integral brackets. The other type have U-bolts that go around the front frame, to leave the forward controls clear. But I have to say I think your boards will be challenge to fit with guards! The U-bolt type will fit your frame, but your boards may still get in the way. A trip to your local dealer may help, to see if they have a Dyna with the U-bolt type fitted.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If those mini-boards are from 2 Orange Harleys they WILL work because I have them
on my bike. The right side adjustment is tricky because of the brake pedal..

Old 01-03-2011, 02:27 PM
cmonster
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
If those mini-boards are from 2 Orange Harleys they WILL work because I have them
on my bike. The right side adjustment is tricky because of the brake pedal..
Do have a pic of your setup?

Old 01-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, here's some photos and a bit of background.

These floorboards are adjustable having a "toothed" attachment that allows the boards
to be rotated to different angles and a slotted section on the board itself that allows back
and forth adjustment. There is also what I would call the "dogbone" that allows the
board to be further offset to the rear or raised higher. You could probably adjust these
so that a circus midget could place his feet on them.

Depending on how they are adjusted, they can actually be raised above the height of
normal pegs, raked down on the rear of the board or just mounted flat. The mount will
swivel like the normal pegs so that they will push up if you ground them heavily.

I had a problem in that the rubber came off the left one and 2 Orange Harleys could
not (would not?) replace the piece as they said they had zero extra parts and that was that.

It's my understanding that they or someone else now has an improved version where
the rubber doesn't just glue down, but has pegs that insert into the metal.

Anyway, the first 3 photos are from last Spring with the "Dogleg" and the last two
are from today without the "dogleg". As you can see, the dogleg moved the basic
attachment point well to the rear.

Here the assembly is rotated up as if it had just been grounded hard....

Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 PM
cmonster
Tourer

Great pics,from the looks of it i think it will work although i dont have forwards[check the pics attached in my previous post}im using the highway peg brackets that attach to the frame and have the boards attached to them-got em right where i want em finally so the guards gonna have to clear the boards.