Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing driving lights...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 03:03 PM
BamaRider49
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing driving lights...

Hey, hope someone has an answer for this. I have installed some driving lights (not any high $$ one's, just some cheap ones (optronics)). I followed the directions on the install, but I keep blowing the fuses. The ground is clean (bare metal contact). Can I just straight wire the lights to the on/off switch? Should I splice them into my headlight set-up?

Old 01-23-2011, 03:55 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by BamaRider49
Hey, hope someone has an answer for this. I have installed some driving lights (not any high $$ one's, just some cheap ones (optronics)). I followed the directions on the install, but I keep blowing the fuses. The ground is clean (bare metal contact). Can I just straight wire the lights to the on/off switch? Should I splice them into my headlight set-up?

My guess is you should use a relay to prevent fuses being blown...

Here's an old post on how to connect foglights.

You could use this wiring diagram to connect your extra driving lights...

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Here are some wiring diagrams showing how the foglamp kit should be connected, according to H-D's mounting instructions (=DOT regulations).

In this way the fog lights as well as the aux lights stay on only with lowbeam(spliced to the yellow wire).

If you want them to work with high beam, splice (6) to the highbeam wire (on my 2003FXD it's the white wire).

If I understand well, you want them to work independently from high/low beam.
To achieve this result, splice (6) to the runing lights wire (see your manual for the color, on my 2003FXD it's the blue wire) or run the "unterminated wire" (6) (= wire to low beam in Fog Lamp Schematic) in the wiring harness back to the + on the battery or the aux fuse in the fuse box.

You can operate the switch (which comes with the kit) to activate the coil in the relay which will turn on or off the fog lights/aux lights.

I have connected the passing lights on my FXD2003 in the same way and replaced the stock switch from the kit for the handlebar mounted aux switch kit and the chrome switch cap kit.

Here's a wiring diagram on how to wire aux lights using a relay:

Signal current from switch (86 ==> 85) activates coil; coil activates internal relay switch (30 ==> 87)

30 = + from battery (requires mim 2.5 mm2 wire)

87 = + to lamps (requires mim 2,5 mm2 wire)

86 = + from switch or headlight wire (to activate relay)

85 = ground

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 11-09-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:36 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You definitely need to use a relay. You're drawing too much current through your switch which is causing it to blow.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:11 PM
biketroll
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or he might have a dead short..