Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alloy vs wire wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 PM
jordanball33
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i like my pms better than spokes. mostly for looks. but i got some spokes and mags for sale if anyones interested

Old 01-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile WideGlide front end?

I wonder whether you can convert to dual front brakes with the wide glide front end? And whether you can put Buchanan Excel Aluminum spoked wheels on your current hubs? If you could do both, you'd have a much different handling bike. They would be vast improvements over the stock wheels/brakes. Jay

Old 01-23-2011, 09:05 PM
tjkcreations
Intermediate

Love my Alloys!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:53 AM
R-Jay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took off the spoke wheels from my '08 FXDC and put the stock "Lowrider" wheels on. Love the look and ease of cleaning.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:16 AM
zoopman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got to say I like the alloy wheels also.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:05 AM
Marcop
Advanced

Alloy wheels means tubeless tire, which are more safe.

Times ago I got a puncture while riding on highway, with tube type wheels: had been very difficult to control the bike for a safe stop...

I say alloy wheels forever!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There are several issues about modern bikes, comparing the old and the new. Wheels are a bit like chains v belts, EFI v carbs, and the new stuff does have some merits. Once it was disc v drum brakes! I no longer have any wire-wheeled bikes. I like tubeless tyres and the ease of cleaning cast wheels and don't think I will ever buy a spoked-wheeled bike again. My oldest bike is my 21 year old Glide, but I don't spend much time looking over my shoulder, I'm still heading towards the horizon.

Last edited by grbrown; 01-24-2011 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 01-24-2011, 06:28 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the look of spokes!!! I also hate cleaning spokes!!!! That is why I am glad to have alloys!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:41 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I rode sportbikes with mags for 20 years, so when I wanted a classic machine to scoot around on I wanted Laced spokes.That was why I bought the Street Bob. I also took it one step further and bought a bigger wider set from Blackbike wheels. There are downsides like many have said already, harder to repair on roadside, and requiring a possible tune up at a later time, along with being harder to clean. But they are classy, and I get compliments all of the time as well.
I want to also add that if you REALLY want to run tubeless with spokes it IS possible to seal the spokes and run tubeless. The downside to this is when and IF they require retruing that the seal is damaged and they must be stripped of rim sealant and resealed which is a bit time consuming, but required. I ran TRUE wire wheels on my Buick Regal Low Rider for many years, and never had to retrue them and only had to reseal one due to me damaging the sealant with the tire machine upon breaking the bead, and not being quick enough releasing the pedal. The bead breaker punctured the sealant.

I may consider sealing my rims upon next tire swap, but doubt it. If a guy used Heavy Duty MOOSE brand Off road tubes I doubt a guy would EVER have to worry about a flat on the road,(excluding major tire /rim damage) Those tubes are like 4mm THICK. Can you tell that I am waving a flag for Laced Rimes

Old 01-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I have the smooth rims with spokes....
I would like to trade for the mags....

Quick Reply: Alloy vs wire wheels