Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide or Softail Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 11:43 PM
mgellar
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide Glide or Softail Custom?

Hi,
I have a 2004 Sportster 1200 Custom with Screamin' Eagle pipes. I am tired of the vibration and want a bigger bike and a smoorther ride. The Wide Glide fits me really nice, especially with the very forward controls. I am also considering a Softail Custom, which definitely vibrates less than the Wide Glide. I do like the look and fit of the Wide Glide better. Has anyone gone from a 2004 or later Sportster to a Wide Glide and if so, how is the vibration on a long trip? Any suggestions about my decision?

Thanks!
Mike

Old 10-10-2006, 12:27 AM
WdGldDave
Road Captain
Default RE: Wide Glide or Softail Custom?

Mine vibrates a whole lot more when idling. The faster I go, the smoother the ride. I like the looks of the custom softail but am partial to the WideGlide. The wideglide seems bigger.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:45 AM
scotch
Advanced

I don't think you have good info on the dyna's. From my exp. the softails are far more rigid a ride than a dyna.

The rubber mounted motor only vibs at idle, but it smoothes out to an unnoticeable hum anywhere else off idle.

FYi

Old 10-10-2006, 01:19 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

yes,the dyna is a fantastic bike .

Old 10-10-2006, 01:36 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well..you post in the dyna section...these are the types of responses you're gonna get...and I'll give you another just like the rest. I have a Wide Glide and it's the most comfortable bike I've ever owned.
Not to mention...I've rented wide glides and softails before I bought...and like the others have said...the dynas vibrate at idle, but get really smooth with speed.

I will say, the new ST custom is a SWEET bike. I like it a lot. But in all honesty, I prefer the look of exposed dual shocks in the rear..plus, the new dynas have thicker fork legs and mini apes, while the softail custom still has the smaller diameter fork legs/bars. Not sure of the performance advantages, but the DWGs front end looks meaner...in my opinion.

Still, I don't think you'd be making a mistake whichever route you decide to take.

Make sure to let us know what you decide on. Either way, I think you'll be more comfortable on a big twin than a sporty.

Todd

Old 10-10-2006, 01:52 AM
aal
Cruiser

Softail.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:54 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several Softail models that I like. I was eyeballing a new Vivid Black Classic Springer just yesterday with lustful thoughts of black powdercoated rims and whitewall tires. However, I still greatly prefer the Dyna models with their rubber-mounted "A" motors. I love the shake at idle but then they are smooth throughout the powerband. The counterbalanced "B" motor of the Softail is dead smooth at idle, too smooth, but then has the high rpm buzz above 4000rpm. Not a big deal if you baby it but if you run the hell out of it like I do, it's definitely noticeable. After spending time on each, I believe the Dynas handle significantly better than the FL Softails and at least a little better than the FX Softails. They definitely ride better.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:47 AM
PJM NY
Intermediate

One important thing to remember is that the Dyna shocks result in beter handling and smoother ride. The only reason for the softail is if you are set on the look of the rear without the shocks. On vibration, my DWG vibrates when stopped and is fine on the road. I had metric bikes before my DWG, and i took a 5 hour trip last month and the WG was great. Unless you really cant stand the look of the shocks, i am not sure of a reason to get the softail, but thats my opinion

Old 10-10-2006, 04:24 AM
06WideGlide
Cruiser

What Todd said.

My WG smoothes out really nicely at speed and handles like a dream. Last spring I did 743 miles in one day and had enough left in my tank to gamble until the wee hours of the morning (won, too). My butt wasn't even sore.

I love the front forks on the 06+ Wide Glide and if I owned a Softtail Custom, I would have to switch out the front end.

Steve

Old 10-10-2006, 08:34 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

i had a 2005 sporty custom before my st.bob. my bob rides sooooooooo much better than the sporty. my sporty sounded like she was going to blow at interstate speeds.etc. no more backaches with bob either,sporty was killing me back .

Quick Reply: Wide Glide or Softail Custom?