Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hangers a Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 04:33 PM
themtimes
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ape Hangers a Few Questions

I'm looking into putting 16 or 18 inch Ape Hangers on my 07 SB. After reading through posts I see that I am going to have to get cable extensions. I would like to find flat black or vivid black bars.

Should the tubing be 1inch?

Do you recommend 16in or 18in?

Is there any kits available for the extension?

What else do I need to know?

Any bars that you think look better than the others?

Anyone looking to sell their bars that fit what I need?

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Curious George
6th Gear

I just installed 18in apes on my 04 fxd and yes you will need longer clutch and brake lines, and you will have to extend the wires for your controls.... My father manages a place called jireh cycles and they will have what you need at a low price. call them and order a free parts catalog 1-877-681-0448. they should also be able to help you with any questions you have.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:47 PM
themtimes
Intermediate

Thanks George

Old 02-26-2011, 05:37 PM
SPERO56
Cruiser

I've got 16" apes on mine and they are really comfortable and have transformed the way the 'bike rides. Not sure 18" would be any better - may look better - but go bigger than 1 inch if you can. Not sure if the 07 SB has the integrated riser if it does you'll need to check clearance. It's possible to do but a tight fit as i found on my 2010 SB.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:27 PM
BLK10WIDE
Intermediate

16's here I got the burly brand cable/wire kit get the p/n from burlys website and check with your local drag dealer. Best kit imo comes w wires,cables,and brake line and if your lookin for black they are the way to go. Also get the urethane mount bushings big difference.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:05 PM
ed gien
Tourer

If your keeping orig hand controls that are 1" bars you can use 1 1/2 bars with indents, Dont buy that wire setup premade crap, do it yourself, very easy. spent $100 on bars,$5 on wires, $10 on wire stripper and $150 on cables. Did all my self and very happy! Thanks to those who helped. I bought handlebars and didnt check the chrome vs my orig handgrip, was too thick

Old 02-28-2011, 03:35 AM
mccalljv
Cruiser

I just installed 16" apes. I bought the HCC kit with stainless cables and wire extensions. Ended up not needing the wire extension as there was plenty of slack in the backbone. Also agree that you can easily make extensions yourself.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:16 AM
daBreeze
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BLK10WIDE- best looking "new" WG I have seen yet!!!!- niiiice

Last edited by daBreeze; 03-20-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 AM
Crabby69
Advanced
Default Road 6 Customs

I have the Road 6 Custom 14" apes with 2" brass risers to make 16". Changed out the triple trees for the risers. Road 6 Customs are 1" bars in either flat or vivid black and GREAT price and GREAT customer service. They are internal wiring capable and I did not have to change cables or add wire extensions. They have open ends to help run the internal wiring (able to do it myself) but come with black end caps to cover the ends after your done. They also offer brass end caps which I went with and Lowes has Chrome caps that would fit if you want that direction. Road 6 might even be able to customize a fatter bar set for you if you call and talk to them. GREAT to deal with> Website www.road6customs.com

Old 02-28-2011, 06:37 AM
ntculenuf
Cruiser

i have been tossing the ape idea around for my fat bob ever since i started lurking around on this site. i am 6'1 and want to ride a little more laid back than what the drag bar offers. met a guy (milo) yesterday with a fat bob that had 16" chubby one bars. he let me sit on it and get a feel, very comfortable and has me thinking a whole lot harder now. the bars were very clean looking, smooth on the bends

Quick Reply: Ape Hangers a Few Questions