Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Dyna Brake Pad Falling Off while riding

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:53 PM
dp206816
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Dyna Brake Pad Falling Off while riding

So tonight I was riding my 2010 Dyna Super Glide. Stopped to have dinner and when I got back on the bike I found that my rear brake seemed like it had air in the line since the brake pedal went all the way down. Pumped it a few times and got it back. Rode to the first stop light and heard a slight grinding and rattling noise. Mind you the rear breaks and tire have not been changes since I bought the bike about 6 months ago. Bone stock from the dealership. Since I was hearing a weird niose and rattle I decided not to use the rear brake just incase. When I got it home I found the outside break pad (rear wheel) had came out and was held in only by the rear bolt. yet the inside brake pad was still intact. Lets just say thank god I wasn't doing 90 down the freeway and need to slam on my brakes or I may not be writing this. Anyone else have a similar issue or no what may have caused this? I am flabbergasted.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:46 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The retainer pins should'a kept it in position. Methinks someone had a case of "cerebral flatulence" on install, and didn't get the outer pad all the way up inside the caliper and the front(?) pin thru it. With that pad hanging down, I hope the one piston didn't get pushed too far out'a the bore. If not, just hafta push it back into the caliper after removing the one pin, swing the pad (if not damaged) back up into place, and reinsert the pin. Make sure the inner pad gets captured by both pins, too. Just replaced my pads on both bikes when I had the rear wheels off for new tires...not a difficult job. I don't follow the manual's procedure; too complicated. I just get the pins thru the outer pad first (you can see thru the caliper holes to align, then insert pin), then jiggle the rear pad into place while pushing in on each pin 'til they drop thru the inner pad's holes.

Last edited by PKellyMc; 04-06-2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:15 AM
mang0
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

on my 2010 WG, there seems to be only one pin that holds these in place. Getting ready to swap out my rear tire and pads this weekend.

Buy the way, anyone know off hand exactly what size that retaining pad pin is? 1/4 inch 12pt socket fits...but seems to have a little slack, gonna pick up a 7mm 12pt this week and see if it fits any better.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:24 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by dp206816
So tonight I was riding my 2010 Dyna Super Glide. Stopped to have dinner and when I got back on the bike I found that my rear brake seemed like it had air in the line since the brake pedal went all the way down. Pumped it a few times and got it back. Rode to the first stop light and heard a slight grinding and rattling noise. Mind you the rear breaks and tire have not been changes since I bought the bike about 6 months ago. Bone stock from the dealership. Since I was hearing a weird niose and rattle I decided not to use the rear brake just incase. When I got it home I found the outside break pad (rear wheel) had came out and was held in only by the rear bolt. yet the inside brake pad was still intact. Lets just say thank god I wasn't doing 90 down the freeway and need to slam on my brakes or I may not be writing this. Anyone else have a similar issue or no what may have caused this? I am flabbergasted.
Caused by improper assembly.

The following users liked this post:
Vec (04-23-2019)
Old 04-07-2011, 06:52 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a 1/4" 12-point, and it seems to be fine.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dp206816
Sounds to me like you need an anti gremlin bell...

Old 04-07-2011, 10:04 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Incorrect assembly. The brake pad retaining pin(s) should never fall out. I would contact the dealer and complain.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:32 PM
dp206816
Stage IV

Got it in to Harley. Apparently there is an issue with the bracket that comes off the swing arm that holds the caliper in place. The rear of the caliper has that axle go through it and the fron is held in place by a metal tab that comes off the swing arm. Apparently mine was flexing to the point that it is causing a bind. Started out as a slight brake sticking to the pad falling out, the pistons hitting the rotor and the rotor digging into the caliper. My bike has 5K on it and apparently its not the only one in the shop for this. There was another Dyna in for the same thing and only had 1k on it and after talking to some guys one of the local club guys is having the same issue. The local dealership is waiting to hear from Harley seeing that replacing the Swing arm would be the only fix but who is to say the new one isn't going to do the same thing. I could see a possible recall in the future. Just my two cents

Old 04-23-2019, 03:07 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

So i encountered this today. Outer brake pad fall out 2010 FXDWG

they are slotted into a metal clip which is in caliper bracket then you put pad pin in. Also there is a metal clip on the underside of the caliper

On inspection of the caliper clip it is broken, will order both and see what happens,

I did re-install everything and brake pedal pumped up again, but pad falling out

85000kms

Old 10-12-2019, 05:06 AM
aussie_81
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mirrmu
So i encountered this today. Outer brake pad fall out 2010 FXDWG

they are slotted into a metal clip which is in caliper bracket then you put pad pin in. Also there is a metal clip on the underside of the caliper

On inspection of the caliper clip it is broken, will order both and see what happens,

I did re-install everything and brake pedal pumped up again, but pad falling out

85000kms
This happened to me the other day on my 2010 Super glide. Did you sort yours out?

I also found that the clip inside the caliper (it holds the top of the pad) looked damaged.

Does anyone have an answer for this?

Quick Reply: 2010 Dyna Brake Pad Falling Off while riding