Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide Crash Bars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:44 AM
pete62conv
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the only way I would use one is if it was a quick detach. As in ride to Sturgis, pop off the windshield, highway bar, baggage and other crap. It seems like if you keep bolting stuff to your Dyna you made the wrong bike choice. Averyone has an opinion I guess. When I see a huge Memphis Shade bolted to a 10/11 DWG it really messes with my mind. To me the '10 DWG should be treated as a custom chopper. When is the last time you saw J.James put a windshield/crash bar/ luggage rack on a bike? I'm not trying to be a troll, just the devils advocate. Get good insurance and let er tip.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Punchsmack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice Pete, from now on, I'm only going to mod my bike based on what J.James does with his. Can you please point me towards his site so I can begin copying the "J.James style"?

Old 05-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Figgymo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with Punch, everyone has their own style. Some like to mimic someone else's style. As I heard from someone else on this forum (can't remember) as long as you smile when you look at your own bike, screw what everyone else thinks.

Pete doesn't seem to mind if his bike falls over and gets all scared up. It your bike, more power to ya!

I have the HD crash bar and I don't even notice it.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:23 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed a moco crash bar on my FXD. Easiest thing ever to install. I am still trying to get used to it. It's just this huge thing right there in front of me that wasn't there before. I like the way it looks except for when I'm on the bike. I guess I'll get used to it.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:26 PM
combat_doc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I DIDNT KNOW MY WG WAS A CUSTOM CHOPPER! I have great insurance but its not my idea of a good time to spend money on it then just drop it as Pete says j.james would do. I like my bike and will add what I want to it. If james dont like it he should start his company back up.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:44 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys, getting ready for a ride that's going to take me about 3k and I have added the kuryakyn mustache bar to my '10 DWG so I would have another place for my feet to give me another position to ride in. Got it installed tonight, feels good but have not taken a ride yet. Most likely once I get home it will come off, but for long rides I'll just bolt it back on. Here is some pictures of it.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:48 AM
J.Sizer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm getting a set from BR's custom bars....have photos soon.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:11 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i like mine great for strecthing the legs out, who cares what people think as long as your happy. jackyl

Old 03-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Steel Steed
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think it looks bad. It's suits a purpose. I don't keep my on all the time, but I will be putting it back on today since I have a 1000 mile trip coming up, and I already have it. I think my bags look worse than the highway bar.

[edit] Whoops, I already posted in this thread! But, that was last year!!

Last edited by Steel Steed; 03-25-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:56 AM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally, I agree that the Wide Glide is made a certain way to appeal to a certain type of rider.

The Wide Glide has clean lines and a long rake. Crash bars take away from that. I may do mustache bars in the future but crash bars affect the look of the bike.

My opinion...I dont like windshields either. If you wanted crash bars and a windshield, should have gotten a geezer glide.

I don't plan to crash, I plan to ride.

Quick Reply: Wide Glide Crash Bars?