Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Exhaust Wrap vs. Heat Shields

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 08:12 AM
NYDeuce
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd find a heat shield. I have wrap and I have adjusted my tuner and I am still feelin uncomfotable heat.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:55 AM
cjlandry
Road Master

When I first got my '11 WG, I felt like my right leg was cooking, even with the stock heat-shields. Then I installed the SE Stage 1 a/c kit (the one that fits under the stock cover). Just moving my leg away from the pipes a little bit helped a lot with that.

Then I installed the Rush slip-ons and the PC-V from FuelMoto. I no longer have any issue with heat.

With FuelMoto, you tell them what mods you have on your bike, and they load the optimum map, based on their experience with dyno-tuning.

If you just got the Power Commander (you didn't specify which one), and didn't have a map loaded to it, you probably need to go to the Power Commander site and load the map which matches your mods.

You should go to the Power Commander website and see which map most closely matches your bike. If you got it from FuelMoto, they should have loaded the correct map for your application. If not, you can download maps from the Dynojet website. I would call their customer support line and tell them about the issue, then see about getting the correct map installed.

You probably don't want to lean out the mixture, as running lean tends to heat things up.

I would try loading the appropriate map before doing anything with heat shields or wrap. The maps are free.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:18 AM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NYDeuce
I'd find a heat shield. I have wrap and I have adjusted my tuner and I am still feelin uncomfotable heat.
+1, my heat shields were quite a bit cooler than my wrap. The wrap is definitely uncomfortable heat.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:53 PM
jfh4k0
5th Gear

I'm pretty sure that TK Glider meant for you to take the shields off, wrap the pipes, and then put the shields back on. That way theoretically the pipes would be cooler because they are wrapped and then the heat from the cooler wrapped pipe is further deflected by the shield.

that clarified - i have no idea if it would work. i'm reading this thread because I'm trying to figure out the same thing as you - except by pipes and shields are stock. but in the summer when I have shorts is freakin hot - even if i have jeans on in which case i'm a melted puddle with a hot leg because its freakin hot, i have my jeas on, and my pipes are really freakin hot.

i like the look of wrap, but dont want to do it for that reason alone.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:24 PM
sacto95827
Cruiser

Yeah...I have my pipes wrapped. Looks sick, but still gets hot as hell. I keep getting burned on my right leg, but I'm not sure if it's my A/C or pipes. I might unwrap my pipes and put heat shields on to see if that helps.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:22 PM
dblbucket
Stage III
Default Wrap

I have an 05 Road Glide and I think that I am going to remove my heat sheilds, wrap the pipes and reinstall the sheilds. Has anyone ever tried this? I am looking into drilling my heat sheilds for that rat rod look.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:19 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

If you drill holes in the heat shield you will effectively eliminate the heat shield. I was amazed how much hotter my leg gets with the Tommy gun shields over my old pipes with no holes in the shields.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:55 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I actually caught my leg on fire with thunderheader exhaust and exhaust wrap. boy my friends thought it was a riot. I was not so amused. I always go for heat shields now. No heat issues anymore for me. I know its tempting to use the wrap it looks bad *** but it still runs very hot.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:21 PM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like others I have used both, I really liked the wrap on my Thuderheader and it seemed to work fine, It takes upkeep like mentioned-I ran wrapped for about a yr and a half, but a shop was putting 02 sensors back on and tore it up some so after trying to fix it I finally gave up and was gonna re-wrap, but I found a set of heat shields for about $30 off so I got those and put them on-the shields actually are cooler even on a good wrap job so Im staying with that. You can do some tuning on your PC map if its a PCIII, if you got it from fuel moto they will help, you can get hold of PC on the web or call them they will help make a map for you or advise the best out of box, or get it tuned. I went from the PC to TTS Mastertune. I like the TTS better but I liked the PC as well.
PC is on one of the forums and will answer Questions and send maps.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:24 AM
donwonnc
Novice
Default Burning my butt on my 2009 FLSTHC

Just bought a 2009 peace Officer edt. Heritage that was purchased, dealer customized, stored due to an unfortunate accident, not bike related. I have allot of shrine parts. original exhaust, then Long Shots and finally it has Sampson Fish Tails, but the rear cylinder exhaust crosses over to the left and with the heat shield it still burns my inner thigh through my jeans. The bike has 1450 miles on it and I believe it. It seems to idle to fast but I hear that is the norm for EFI bikes. When I come to a stop, I have to lean to the right to keep from cooking my leg. Maybe if I were a little taller it wouldn't be a problem, but I am only getting shorter.

Attached Thumbnails Question about Exhaust Wrap vs. Heat Shields-100_8986.jpg  

Quick Reply: Question about Exhaust Wrap vs. Heat Shields