Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Exhaust Wrap vs. Heat Shields

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Deftone5
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Exhaust Wrap vs. Heat Shields

Hey I have a question, my new pipes, Bub Lakesters 2 into 1...are so hot beneath my leg when I have my leg on the ground that they make my skin feel like its burning right through my jeans.

I was talking to my mechanic about using exhaust wrap instead of the heat shield and we couldn't decide which would be better. Ideally the heat shield is supposed to leave a pocket of air between the pipes and the shield that cools things down. The wrap is suppose to hold the heat in and funnel it away so its not like I'd want to do both.

Do people have any experience with which is a better route to go for the hot pipe near the bottom of the thigh area???

Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Deftone5
Advanced

Another option is to keep the heat shields on and wrap my right leg with exhaust wrap. LOL.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:28 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I wonder if you have some other issue going on. Maybe a tuning issue? I have VH Short Shots and I don't feel anywhere near the heat you describe. Mine are not wrapped just the standard heat shields that come with it.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 PM
jaydoss
Advanced

I agree with jmeiers, I have the same VH and I have no problems with heat. Even when I'm in traffic.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:54 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it might be running lean (hot), my pipes do not do that .

Old 05-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Deftone5
Advanced

Thank for the tips. I have a Power Commander installed so I guess I can tweak it myself...I don't know anything about it having never messed with it yet...been just running with what Bub recommended for the Dyna....

Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

From reports I have read there can be as much as a 400 degree difference between the pipes and the heat shields. If you are running without anything the temp of the pipes is around 600 degrees.
Personally I never liked the looks of wrap, and the shields provide plenty of insulation from the heat.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:29 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use both plenty of room.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:46 AM
Deftone5
Advanced

Originally Posted by T K Glider
Use both plenty of room.
I guess with heat shields on it could cool the air and then wrapping the shield would insluate the shield but it would also constrict airflow beneath the shield making it less effective.

I'd have to wrap only a section then it might look strange.

The best answer might be to adjust my Power Commander, I do get some popping anyway, and try to lean it out a little?

Old 05-13-2011, 08:00 AM
BrassHOLE
Cruiser

Yes sounds a Lil lean. I've had both. Heat shields. Wrap. Bare pipes. And really the heat shields really do work the best Imo. The wrap is pretty aesthetic and yes I do like the way it looks but there's a lot of up keep to the wrap. It gets really dirty if u get black youll have to repaint em every once in a while cause they turn white with heat over time. Use BBQ pit black paint. The white wrap gets horribly dirty and there's really nothin u can do but then again if ur puttin that on ur bike chances are ur Goin for that dirty retro rat rod kinda look. As for just bare pipes which is what I got now yea it gets a lol hot sometimes but the color change of the pipes I like the way it has blues and purples and brass Lookin colors to it. Looks more...... Retro to me. Worn in even.

Just remember if u wrap ur pipes when and if u decide to take off the wrap later down the road it messes up the finish of them it will discolor them pretty bad. (chrome pipes). And also remember when putting the wrap on soak it in water and wear rubber gloves and long sleeves. It really suks having fiber glass in ur arms and hands lol

Last edited by BrassHOLE; 05-13-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Question about Exhaust Wrap vs. Heat Shields