Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buffeting Under windshield fix.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 12:58 PM
johnny5jz
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be trying this out this weekend. I built my windshield for my wide glide so that I could get a bigger one than the factory one. I have some leftover lexan to give it a shot. Great idea!!

Old 05-14-2011, 01:10 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by purvissp
I first made a cardboard template and then I cut the Lexan curved shape on my band saw, then sanded the edges with 220 & 320 grit sand paper........
I meant how did you curve the Lexan, as in shape it, convex it, or in other words make it unflat? I'm thinking now that you used lexan that was already shaped from another windshield?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:30 AM
purvissp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lexan is actually flat. It is slightly angled outward due the the bottom angle of the strap screwed to the lower windshield bracing strap. I thought I would try it that way before I tried to bend it. It worked great so I did not bend it.

I had a plan "B" if I needed to bend it. That would have been bend an aluminum brace for the rear, mount it across the the Lexan on the rear and screw it to the Lexan to bend it to the shape I needed. but no need and that may have looked a little clutzy.

One concern I did have was that the lower end of the Lexan would be pushed by back the force of the wind and touch the forks. But I have had the bike up to 80mph and that was no problem. The 1/8 aluminum is strong enough to hold it.

The original poster on the forum that I got the idea from used steel strapping, but I chose aluminum because it would be easier to polish up and look like the rest of the windshield bracing.