Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam tensioner upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 PM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam tensioner upgrade question

I know this subject has been beat to death but I have a question for any Harley mechanics

I am very mechanically inclined on cars ( can build engines from scratch) and such but have not much experience on Harley V twins. I have yet to dive into mine.

My question, if I buy the hydraulic cam tensioner upgrade kit ( oil pump, chain sprockets etc) do I need any special tools to do the upgrade?

I have the Harley service manual for my bike and all the regular tools anyone would want

Has anyone performed this upgrade themselves that could share their experience?

Just trying to save a buck and know it was done right......and learn at the same time
Thanks

Old 06-14-2011, 08:59 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

TC88 right? You need cam tensioner unloader, oil pump alignment screws and a puller for the inner cam bearings, you can get them all at the following link. I'd throw some performance cams while you are there.
http://georges-garage.com/tc_engine_1.htm
Here is another thread I posted a while ago, it is my Fatboy, I didn't upgrade to a new style oil pump / auto tension unit though. Hope it helps!
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...installed.html

Last edited by 128auto; 06-14-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 PM
strongwood
Road Master

Thanks
looks like my Indy may be about the same price after I buy the tools, Not sure but I will check with them. Maybe a side job by one of the mechanics that has worked on my bike before.

I wouldn't mind buying the tools if it wasn't just a one time use. Even my friends that ride don't work on theirs so they wouldn't even borrow them *grin*

Thanks for the reply!

Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

To be honest, the only tool I bought is the oil pump alignment screws, they are cheap. You can borrow bearing puller from Napa or Autozone I heard, the spring tensioner I just use water pump pliers to unload, make sure you order the B-148 inner bearings. Special tools are good but you can make it work without buying all of them.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:15 PM
strongwood
Road Master

Originally Posted by 128auto
To be honest, the only tool I bought is the oil pump alignment screws, they are cheap. You can borrow bearing puller from Napa or Autozone I heard, the spring tensioner I just use water pump pliers to unload, make sure you order the B-148 inner bearings. Special tools are good but you can make it work without buying all of them.
Yeah I knew about getting past the unloader but I thought the bearing puller might have been Harley specific but it sounds like it is not

The alignment screws are no problem, I have heard about a newer style of bearings and I am guessing they are the ones you mention above.
Are the bearings a dealer item only?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:18 PM
bsj04
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did mine. If you are careful and creative you can unload the tensioners with out special tools. Rent a blind hole puller from autozone for free, and use old cam to tap in new bearings. And the oil pump alignment can be done be rotating the rear tire in 5th gear while tightening the oil pump bolt slowly. I used basic hand tools to do the swap and it wasn't to bad.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

Don't buy inner bearings from dealer, they have problem. Get the Torrington B-148 full roller bearings at George garage, those are the problem solving ones. Yes, the harley puller is nice but you can use other pullers instead, the bearings are easy to pull out.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 PM
strongwood
Road Master

I wish I had some pictures before I tear into the bike, I hate exploratory surgery

Let me check and see if there is anything on you tube

Old 06-14-2011, 09:33 PM
strongwood
Road Master

I found this on you tube
I now understand and see what is involved. Not brain surgery

This is just changing the cams but it gives me a good idea of what I will be looking at by doing it myself

I have all the tools shown except for the bearing installer tool. I even have the press

I believe I can do this now, thanks for the help and I will be sure to get the bearings from Georges Garage

( for some reason, my you tube videos wont embed anymore)

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MPRbpbGq0-k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 06-14-2011, 09:55 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

You don't need bearing installer, find a deep socket same as the bearing OD, use an extension and hammer, drive it in. Another thing, are you planning to remove the rocker covers? You can save some time by cutting the old pushrods and install a set of adjustable pushrods, that's up to you.

Quick Reply: Cam tensioner upgrade question