Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

compensating sprocket/sliding cam issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:05 PM
trevorFXDXI
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compensating sprocket/sliding cam issue

Had to replace my shifter pawl in my 2005 FXDXI. First 500 miles no problems. Soon after that, at idle, started to hear an occasional knock from the primary. Progressed to a more constant and louder knock. Drained primary to find dark oil and shavings. When removing drive components compensating sprocket nut was tight. I found wear on compensating sprocket and sliding cam. The only spot on the sprocket that looks worn is where the cam lobes sit closest to the sprocket. What did I do wrong?

Old 09-17-2011, 06:01 AM
cecharles
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same issue on my '01 FXD and I ended up finding that the compensator spring was shot. I replaced that and found that the slide cam's spline was wore slightly. It had too much wiggle over the crankshaft extension so I replaced that too. New one fit nice and tight on spline and with new spring assembly, it took care of the knock. You'll know you've fixed it when you put it in first gear when idling. It'll be a nice click sound and not a clunk. You'll also feel the difference when shifting. Some people have changed over to the Screaming Eagle compensator assembly but with my bike being stock and I don't ride it hard, I didn't think the extra cost was worth it. Hope that helps.