Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'94 FXDL with the tachometer acting up.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Commander Data
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 FXDL with the tachometer acting up.

Hi,

First off, I'm new here and I am not sure exactly where this question should go, but anyway... to my question.

I have a '94 FXDL which came equipped with a tachometer and speedometer mounted on a gauge pod on the gas tank. I took the gauge pod off the bike then took the gauges and rubber seals out in order to polish the aluminum pod. After reassemblign evertying, the tachometer doesn't work. The wires are all making firm connections and are connected to the proper wires. I know two of the three wires going to the tach are positive and negative leads, but what is the third wire from? Is there anything I can do to test the third wire? Is the tach pooched? Or is there some module that could benot working properly? I'd like to get the tach up and running again as I monitor the tach as much (if not more) than my speedometer.

Cheers!

Old 10-31-2011, 01:22 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

The third wire is for the signal. Not sure where it picks up the signal but probably from the coil. A wiring diagram would help but I don't have one to share. If the speedo and the light for the tach works it could be the tach is bad, or a connection somewhere. I'm not that good with electrics and can't tell you how to test it, but if you could hook another tach that would help.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:50 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

If the tach worked prior to ghe work you just did then I would check the wiring. Make sure everything is plugged in correctly and that none of the wires are getting pincehed anywhere. If everything worked before it was removed than that is where I would start. Probably something very simple.....