Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question...need torque cones?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:23 AM
sbfreak103009
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question...need torque cones?

Hey guys i am gunna throw samson extreme bone shakers exhaust on my 2011 street bob i think it would look sick! www.samsonusa.com/E2-101.html i contacted samson and they said they would fit and they would coat in black ceramic for me plus military discount woohoo!!! ...but my question is will i need torque cones to keep low end torque? any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by sbfreak103009; 11-07-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 AM
AZryder
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would put either torque cones or baffles to add a bit of restriction or you will
lose all low end torque. my .03

The following users liked this post:
jackddg22 (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Samson_tech
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AZrider is correct. The torque cones will help a lot with low to mid range performance. You need velocity in the exhaust as well as the right amount of back pressure to get best performance. The torque cones also give you an anti-reversion effect as well.
Thank you,
JR

Old 11-07-2011, 12:49 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a write-up from NRHS with dyno numbers:

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_arcones.shtml

Old 11-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Samson_tech
AZrider is correct. The torque cones will help a lot with low to mid range performance. You need velocity in the exhaust as well as the right amount of back pressure to get best performance. The torque cones also give you an anti-reversion effect as well.
Thank you,
JR
Never yet seen dyno results improved by fitting torque cones to any exhaust on any bike. They only ever seem to drop the power across the piece. This might not be the case for a full-blown race engine but I don't think we are talking about anything like that here.

What is effective is a baffle, or a lollipop fitted across the exhaust outlet. They break up the reversion wave that can bounce back to the cylinder and mess with combustion on poorly designed exhaust systems, particularly systems without an expansion area and/or baffle.

PS - This is nothing to do with 'back pressure', which is a fallacy. The back pressure myth comes about because free-flowing exhausts have less of it and this led to leanness on carb bikes because they couldn't adjust for the extra air. This used to results in burnt exhaust valves. Torque cones would help a bit with this because they reduced the flow back towards more stock-like flow, which brought the AFR back from lean, not because they did some magic thing with back pressure.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:11 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Noticible improvement when I installed Torque cone on my 94 low rider with cycle shack drag pipes.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:21 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Torque cones will only help if your running nothing in your pipes. Like zero, zip, empty hollow tubes. Then they help with midrange torque. If your running baffles or lolipops, your fine.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 11-07-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Samson_tech
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icecaps
Here's a write-up from NRHS with dyno numbers:

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_arcones.shtml
The item shown as a torque cone in the video has the shape of a venturi like in a carburator. This type of cone causes turbulence. The smooth bore torque cones by Samson have an entirely different design.
Thanks,
JR

Old 11-07-2011, 05:24 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Samson_tech
The item shown as a torque cone in the video has the shape of a venturi like in a carburator. This type of cone causes turbulence. The smooth bore torque cones by Samson have an entirely different design.
Thanks,
JR
Could you share your own dyno testing showing the improvements using your company's torque cones?

Old 11-08-2011, 03:24 AM
sbfreak103009
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see i have seen so many people with mixed reviews of torque cones...but if i went baffles could i get a set that would still make the pipes sound as good and as loud while still getting the torque the i would otherwise loose? and what would fit these pipes...please help!!! thanks everyone for the comments

Quick Reply: Exhaust question...need torque cones?