Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Fork oil Weight

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 01:11 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FBinSoCal
I researched progressives too prior to posting and saw nothing yet either.
I don't think I'm doing or asking anything unusual of the bike. I'm only 6' 210 and just ride it, basically. I push it at times, like we all do I think, but under normal conditions like running on a concrete freeway that is in relatively good shape and I hear metal on metal while going over a medium bump, well it pisses me off. I think it should be able to handle that. Oh well, I'll try the heavier oil and then look into springs when they come out. Thanks for the input bud, I always appreciate your posts as you pretty much tell it like it is and how you see it. Take care and happy new year.
If that is the case you may have other issues then, hard to say without first hand experience. But during normal riding I have never felt a metal to metal bump, only time I felt that was when I was daydreaming and didn't see a damn speed bump in time on a rural road, never expected one out in the middle of nowhere....lol

Have you had HD take a look at it? Do other FLD's have the same issue?
Pretty sure that is the same front end as the Fat Boy and I have been on a few of those without that kind of issue.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:15 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stilup
Look at (Works) front springs. Price is right.
I have the triple rated springs that handle anything I can throw at them.
normally ride on the 30 then when you brake your into the 40 and then 60, those unexpected bumps and holes that show up. Well you just need to steer through it cause the bike will handle it.
Thanks for the heads up. So works springs are gonna be in the $500-600 range +labor, it appears. Any idea what progressives will run once avail?
I bet labor won't be cheap either...ayy-yay-yii, I smell yet another thou.$$
This bike needs to grow some lips for what it's costing me...manoman, LOL

Old 12-31-2011, 01:16 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Just curious Bob, do you have a way to add fluid without removing the forks? Maybe it is just an ounce or 2 low, I can see that happening and it would cause what you describe.
If you can, add 2 ounces and ride it.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:17 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

My progressives were only about 125 if I remember right.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:19 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 8541hog
If that is the case you may have other issues then, hard to say without first hand experience. But during normal riding I have never felt a metal to metal bump, only time I felt that was when I was daydreaming and didn't see a damn speed bump in time on a rural road, never expected one out in the middle of nowhere....lol

Have you had HD take a look at it? Do other FLD's have the same issue?
Pretty sure that is the same front end as the Fat Boy and I have been on a few of those without that kind of issue.
Actually, from what i hear it's a rebuilt/modified front end and somewhat unique. The rear shocks were totally built just for this bike but the front, I've only heard rumors it was also somewhat a new development. I don't know about other riders having same problem. Haven't had dealer look yet, but guess I better.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:21 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Actually, from what i hear it's a rebuilt/modified front end and somewhat unique. The rear shocks were totally built just for this bike but the front, I've only heard rumors it was also somewhat a new development. I don't know about other riders having same problem. Haven't had dealer look yet, but guess I better.
Could be, never looked at one up close in person.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:22 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

My progressives were only about 125 if I remember right.
OK, now we are talking, I'll wait for those. Another fld guy had his done on their proto-type program and he loves em. Just have to wait for them to go to market. Any idea on labor?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:26 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

Just curious Bob, do you have a way to add fluid without removing the forks? Maybe it is just an ounce or 2 low, I can see that happening and it would cause what you describe.
If you can, add 2 ounces and ride it.
I honestly don't know as i don't have a manual. I asked my indy guy that same question and who installed the sliders and he said he definitely put in the proper amount. He also said he was going to go with heavier oil as the cure. Not much to screw up in there.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:29 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

I honestly don't know as i don't have a manual. I asked my indy guy that same question and who installed the sliders and he said he definitely put in the proper amount. He also said he was going to go with heavier oil as the cure. Not much to screw up in there.
Didn't realize they had been apart. Was it the same before?
If I could see the top plate setup I could tell you, but can't readily find any pics of it.
Not difficult with a lift to drop the legs as a whole front end if you have pinch clamps, have done it a few times before I swapped trees.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:35 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

Didn't realize they had been apart. Was it the same before?
If I could see the top plate setup I could tell you, but can't readily find any pics of it.
Not difficult with a lift to drop the legs as a whole front end if you have pinch clamps, have done it a few times before I swapped trees.
I didn't feel it prior but when i had the sliders installed, i only had like 300 miles on it so I was babying it. So it could have but riding it in break-in mode, it just may not have come up yet.

Quick Reply: HD Fork oil Weight