Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd problem with rear turn signal/brake light

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Odd problem with rear turn signal/brake light

So I have a 2011 Dyna Wide Glide which has the turn signals/brake/tail lights all in one. I have smoked lenses on them and use red bulbs. Over time the red burns off the bulbs and I have to replace them (ordering LEDs today). Over the last couple weeks I've noticed that ever now and then when I used my right turn signal, it would act as though the bulb was bad and flash qucikly but then it would go away. I figured this was because the bulb was going bad and decided to replace it.

So last night I replaced it. Put the new bulbs in and turned on the lights. Everything seemed fine. Then I hit the turn signal.

Now, normally the lower intensity filiment in the bulb is the tail light and is always on. The brighter filiment is the turn signal and brake light. However, when I turned on the right turn signal, the low intensity filiment started blinking and then began to blink quickly as though the light was out. When I hit the brakes, the low intensity filiment went out completely. The high intensity filiment never came on.

Now I'm not sure how this is working. When I hit the brakes or blinker on the left, it sure seemed like BOTH filiments would light up...it wasn't like the tail light filiment went out when the blinker or brake came on. It almost seems like on the right side that's what's happening. When power is going to the turn/brake light I'm loosing it to the tail light.

I checked the position of the bulb and it's fine. I switched bulbs and this bulb worked fine in the left hand side. I'm figuring it's in the wiring between the turn signal module and the housing itself. I'm just curious though, what might cause it to behave this way?

Could the two wires be touching somewhere? (insulation rubbed of and thus getting two positive connections at once causing the module to freak?) Could it be grounding somewhere? (no blown fuses from what I can see) Am I just not making good contact with the bulb in the housing? Just wondering what I might be looking for.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:38 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

My riding buddy has a 2010 WG and he has replaced the Left lamp probably 4-5 times, not sure what the problem is, but I would not be surprised if it was a module issue. The module that allows it to be Run/Turn,Brake could be faulty.

Check all the wires to make sure there is no issues there and if none found, I would have the dealer check the RTB module.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member

Will do so. Don't know why this would crop up now. I've had the bike for over a year and put 24k miles on it and only now this happens? Weird.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:53 PM
DaveCarlson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you using a load equalizer?

Old 01-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member

No, and don't need one yet. No LEDs. The bulbs are standard bulbs and the system has worked flawlessly for over a year just the way it is.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you have some wiring issues going on. Divide and conquer. If you have a DVM start from the back and work your way forward.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member

That's what I'm thinking...I'm just trying to figure out what kind of issue would cause power loss in one line when you apply power to another. Almost seems like it could be a module issue.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Sethcat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

robotech I am currently having the exact same problem as you describe. Please let me know when you have it figured out.

The thing that is strange about my situation is that the problem started on the right side. The light would flicker on and off and I knew exactly what it was as I had figured it out when it had happened on a previous occasion, the two ends of the wires in the housing where they rest in the plastic holder/spacer, one of them would sit lower than the other causing that wire not to connect to the bulb.

Anyway, I fixed that and the right side was working again, however, then the left started doing exactly what your's is doing.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:36 PM
DynaGlider27
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wires

Dont know if this will, but when I lowered my bike I started having brake light problems. turned out that the rear tire was getting into wires under rear fender and rubbing them and they were shorting out. Dont know if this is your problem but its something to look into. I think you have something like this going on. Look for a cut in the wiring or bad connection.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:54 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My brother had the same issue and it turned out to be a defective blinker switch

Quick Reply: Odd problem with rear turn signal/brake light