Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended fork tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by afoulsmell
I just started thinking about this myself. I want to raise my front end with some longer fork tubes, but I was told I'd need to rake it some in order to make it handle right. Anyone know if that is true, or is it a misconception? I've read where they say if you add four inches to the tubes that it is like raising the height 2 inches and pushing out the wheel 2 inches. I'm wondering if with my Dyna frame and normal rake if it wouldn't be more like 3 inches higher, and 1 inch forward movement? Do I have to pull the fork tube out of the slider leg in order to tell how long it is, or is it indicated some way else?
There is a link to a good rake and trail calculator on this page. Just take some time and figure out what would be best for you. Should also be a link to a list of stock tube lengths.

http://motorcyclemetal.com/gpage23.html

Old 07-09-2012, 11:07 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Now,back in the day we knew what extended tubes were.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:21 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i bought a 72 flh with 4" over fork tubes and cowbells.. i didn't even know till i looked at it parked next to another flh at a bike shop. after riding it for a year or two, i bought a stock length set. honestly i couldn't even tell a difference riding it except for putting my feet down a little less at a stop.. sorry, the only pic i have of it then is a blurry 11 year old poloroid

Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 AM
ceebaileys
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from sunny Southern California

Old 11-24-2014, 10:31 PM
newtonrick
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you get parts?

Originally Posted by SuperFastGlide
mine are 2.5 inches over...
I would like a little rake too. 6 degrees or so

Old 01-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts

Don't see this style much on Dynas. I like the look of the longer front ends, as long as its not over the top.

+2" on stock midglide trees.
Name:  2014_zpsd2f3d7a3.jpg
Views: 10119
Size:  348.6 KB

Last edited by Reindeer; 01-09-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:56 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I found this one. Thought it was a great example of not raking a frame a just putting giant tubes on. Just wanted to share what I thought was a great picture.

Yeah, I had a couple of bikes like that in the early 70s. The look makes me laugh now. Extended forks without the rake fell out of fashion pretty quickly, in favor of raking to get the height back down in the front.

A lot of it was cost. We could slap on a set of extended tubes for about 75 bucks, and think we looked like Easy Rider.

Easy Rider was a pretty influential movie.

The following users liked this post:
TOE_CUTTER (03-15-2021)
Old 06-26-2015, 08:42 PM
Edsal
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of it was cost. We could slap on a set of extended tubes for about 75 bucks, and think we looked like Easy Rider.

Easy Rider was a pretty influential movie.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! And yes it was a great movie. I finally saw it for the first time about 6 mo ago. I'm 38. Don't ask me why.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:47 PM
Edsal
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled into the local HD Stealership today on my 15 WG. As I was walking up to the door I saw a guy on a 13 WG getting his gear on. He had the rear slammed with Progressive (he wasn't sure which one but said it was the smallest one they had) and he had the 6 inch over fork tubes. Let me tell you something, that **** looked badass!

I asked how the handling was on corners and straight aways and he said the really slow turns took a little getting used to but the ride itself improved greatly. Said it was a lot smoother.

I plan on raising mine now. Maybe 4 in.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:40 AM
Paul Bowes
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 over on my 03 FXDL

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Yeah, it's winter and I'm bored but I was wondering if anyone runs longer than stock fork tubes with the stock rake? Like uncut frame and zero rake in the trees? The reason I ask is that my Springer is considered 3 over stock and I got to thinking..... where are the 2, 4 or 6 over fork tubes on the Dyna's? I know there has to be a $hitload of greybeard's who remember the 70's when every other Superglide had longer than stock forks. If you got them..... OR HAD THEM, can you post up a pic??? I think that would be cool as hell to see pictures.

-

6 over 03 FXDL

Quick Reply: Extended fork tubes?