Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 FXDWG/FXDC ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 PM
fonso003
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by blueangel73
I want to see where this thread is going!
Well since the electrical system is new for 2012 on the dynas we cant use that 3 prong ignition switch that is in all the
ignition relocation threads on the forum.
I wanted to see what that plug looked like on the new wide glides to see if that switch can be used on the 2012 SB.

I have confirmed that the plug is identical to what I have on my neck ignition.
I am going to do this mod when I get back to the country in two weeks.
To help all the guys that have the '12 SB and want the mod. Me being one of them.

The ignitions switch removal ant mounting on the dash will all be the same, but from when I remember taking the
ignition of my bike I believe there is enough wire to just feed through the neck hole to plug directly to this switch.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:30 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by fonso003
Well since the electrical system is new for 2012 on the dynas we cant use that 3 prong ignition switch that is in all the
ignition relocation threads on the forum.
I wanted to see what that plug looked like on the new wide glides to see if that switch can be used on the 2012 SB.

I have confirmed that the plug is identical to what I have on my neck ignition.
I am going to do this mod when I get back to the country in two weeks.
To help all the guys that have the '12 SB and want the mod. Me being one of them.

The ignitions switch removal ant mounting on the dash will all be the same, but from when I remember taking the
ignition of my bike I believe there is enough wire to just feed through the neck hole to plug directly to this switch.
Gotcha! I totally understand the issue, I went through this about a year ago when I wanted to switch my ignition and coil over to the granade still used on the Softail Rocker models. They also only use a two wire system and I was trying to figure out how to rewire the three wire system into the two wire system. I didn't give up the idea, I just didn't want to invest in a Softail service manual just to have the wiring schematic.
On another note, I wonder if the new wiring setup on the new Dyna's will work with the granade ignition and coil?

Old 03-17-2012, 02:05 AM
fonso003
Cruiser

Gotcha! I totally understand the issue, I went through this about a year ago when I wanted to switch my ignition and coil over to the granade still used on the Softail Rocker models. They also only use a two wire system and I was trying to figure out how to rewire the three wire system into the two wire system. I didn't give up the idea, I just didn't want to invest in a Softail service manual just to have the wiring schematic.
On another note, I wonder if the new wiring setup on the new Dyna's will work with the granade ignition and coil?
Im pretty sure that it will. As a matter of fact I noticed that the '11 softail ignition switch and the "12 wideglide switch are the same part number. So I'm assuming that the plug on the grenade is the same.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:20 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Im pretty sure that it will. As a matter of fact I noticed that the '11 softail ignition switch and the "12 wideglide switch are the same part number. So I'm assuming that the plug on the grenade is the same.
Now if I can figure out how to convert my three wire system into the current two wire system so I can use the grenade coil and ignition switch.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Stag556
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an awesome mod. I'll definitely be doing this in the future. Now if only I could find the ignition switch in gloss black....

Old 03-19-2012, 07:54 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Can any of you with the newer two wire systems provide a wiring diagram of this new set up?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 PM
fonso003
Cruiser

Can any of you with the newer two wire systems provide a wiring diagram of this new set up?
So far I really don't understand how the signal is sent and received from the existing switch. The issue is that neither of the 2 wires are a 12 volt wire they are more like data cables.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:31 AM
cl605nick
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far I really don't understand how the signal is sent and received from the existing switch. The issue is that neither of the 2 wires are a 12 volt wire they are more like data cables.
Fonso,

Ive been reading a little re the CAN bus and get the impression that the wiring mearly sends signals to the modules to instuct them that an input is required etc. I have changed the indicators on my 2012 SB to LED's and didnt need any load equalizers etc as the CAN bus takes care of all the voltage drop scenarios etc. Its really very clever! I have heard though that if you find any wires that are wrapped around each other LEAVE THEM ALONE! This is CAN bus wiring and will cause you serious Headache/Heartache/Bank Balance Ache etc if messed about with

Im really wanting to do this switch mod to my bike too. How are things going with yours? Any updates/progress?

Cheers

Old 05-04-2012, 08:59 PM
fonso003
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cl605nick
Fonso,

Ive been reading a little re the CAN bus and get the impression that the wiring mearly sends signals to the modules to instuct them that an input is required etc. I have changed the indicators on my 2012 SB to LED's and didnt need any load equalizers etc as the CAN bus takes care of all the voltage drop scenarios etc. Its really very clever! I have heard though that if you find any wires that are wrapped around each other LEAVE THEM ALONE! This is CAN bus wiring and will cause you serious Headache/Heartache/Bank Balance Ache etc if messed about with

Im really wanting to do this switch mod to my bike too. How are things going with yours? Any updates/progress?

Cheers

Thats exactly correct. The two wires are just a send and receive wire. The most current it sends ever is about 3 volts. Any module on the bike that is linked in to the hdlan system has a micro processor that sends an on or off signal, plus a diagnostic signal. From what I read it is all numeric. I havent ordered the switch from harley yet. I posted a couple of part numbers earlier in this thread, those are the only ones of that style that will work. (unless you are handy with coding micro chips). The part numbers are in the write up on the forum for the mod: HERE

Im not sure if you have had your ignition switch out of the neck yet, but the plugs from the pics that wisewoody was awesome enough to post for us, are the same as what is in our bikes now.

I am still doing this mod but since the switch is about $150 Ive been putting it off. I'll post progress though, Im glad this is helping others

Old 05-05-2012, 03:42 AM
cl605nick
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats exactly correct. The two wires are just a send and receive wire. The most current it sends ever is about 3 volts. Any module on the bike that is linked in to the hdlan system has a micro processor that sends an on or off signal, plus a diagnostic signal. From what I read it is all numeric. I havent ordered the switch from harley yet. I posted a couple of part numbers earlier in this thread, those are the only ones of that style that will work. (unless you are handy with coding micro chips). The part numbers are in the write up on the forum for the mod: HERE

Im not sure if you have had your ignition switch out of the neck yet, but the plugs from the pics that wisewoody was awesome enough to post for us, are the same as what is in our bikes now.

I am still doing this mod but since the switch is about $150 Ive been putting it off. I'll post progress though, Im glad this is helping others
Thanks for that,

Its good to know that the plug should just snap straight in and will make life alot easier. This is def something I will be doing, the original location of the ign switch is such a pain compared to my old FatBoy, but may leave it until winter time. Having said that, the weather here in the UK is still like winter........ lol

Quick Reply: 2012 FXDWG/FXDC ignition switch