Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobra Auto Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:58 PM
NDMECH
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you running them at the same time

Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Stag556
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NDMECH
Are you running both the Power Commander and the cobra tuner.
No, just the cobra tuner.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:35 PM
BigBlue2012
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stag556
I was able to get out on the bike more today and take the bike up to highway speeds. I was told that this unit has a "learning curve" where it will learn your bike and calibrate itself. In normal traffic, the bike really gets up and goes. Still not that much popping from the exhaust which is a huge improvement.

When I got to highway speeds, I tried to stay at a certain speed for a certain period of time to see how the bike would react. I noticed at 80mph, the bike had a slight hesitation every now and then. If I dropped down in speed, it cleared right up and if I throttled the bike, the motor ran smooth as glass and accelerated hard. I wouldn't expect a bike to accelerate in 6th gear at 80mph but it took off like a bat out of hell.

The exhaust note is definitely deeper thatn it used to be as well.

I report back since I'm going on a long ride Thursday. I'm going to calculate mpg and see where that lands.
Hey Stagg,

Im actually having the exact same issue with mine. It's usually between 75 and 80 that it does it. I haven't noticed it around town, but when Im on the highway trying to cruise it feels like it you are constantly chopping the throttle and getting right back on it. I tried to ignore it but if it does it too much, it actually backfires. I have tried everything to fix but can't seem to do it.

I love this tuner everywhere else, as it just screams with the 103. I can't believe the power that comes out of the bike with this puppy, but I gotta get the cruising maps fixed or I'll be forced to change out. I hate to do it after 4000 miles but I do a lot of highway mileage and this kills my gas

Old 03-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Stag556
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigBlue2012
Hey Stagg,

Im actually having the exact same issue with mine. It's usually between 75 and 80 that it does it. I haven't noticed it around town, but when Im on the highway trying to cruise it feels like it you are constantly chopping the throttle and getting right back on it. I tried to ignore it but if it does it too much, it actually backfires. I have tried everything to fix but can't seem to do it.

I love this tuner everywhere else, as it just screams with the 103. I can't believe the power that comes out of the bike with this puppy, but I gotta get the cruising maps fixed or I'll be forced to change out. I hate to do it after 4000 miles but I do a lot of highway mileage and this kills my gas
That's interesting. I don't want to jump to any conclusions yet, I'd like to see if it continues or smooths itself out. I usually cruise in the 70-75mph range and I definitely wouldn't tolerate a stutter at that speed.

I'm taking a 200 mile ride Thursday which is all highway, cruising roads. I'm hoping to use this as time to let the computer acclimate itself to the bike.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Massive
Advanced

I'm in the process of dealing with Cobra on this unit. I purchased and installed it about a week ago. I'm definitely having a "surging" issue, but mine happens in every gear now. I first noticed it in 6th @ around 75 mph, and since then it seemed to get worse. I've noticed it's really noticeable after the bike reaches temp.

I sent Cobra an email and the very next day they were calling me and having check several things. So far everything has checked out and they are building me a new PC board for the unit.

In our conversation, the tech told me that they were having this problem with some Harley's and were doing everything to correct it. It doesn't happen on all Harleys, but apparently mine is one.

I have been completely impressed with their support so far. Very quick to contact, didn't blow me off, and everything I was to check was more so to narrow whether the issue was in the PC board or the harness......not anything on my end.

One of the last things they had me do was to reconnect the O2 sensors back to the stock harness bypassing the Cobra O2 sensor lines; then run and give them feedback. When I did this, there wasn't any more surging.....although a bit rougher at idle. If yours is stuttering or surging, try that and see if it clears up. Just a thought.

Anyhow, you should definitely contact Cobra on the issue.

Good luck -

Last edited by Massive; 03-20-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Stag556
Road Master

Well, I'm happy their service has been good this far. Curious what the issue could be. How do you go about installing the new board in the unit? Would they make you send the unit to them or is it easily replaceable?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Massive
Advanced

It will be really easy to change out......all you do is remove and replace the PC board in the unit itself. You leave all your wiring and harnesses intact. The sides of the case easily pop off, no screws or anything else. The PC board has a ribbon pin connect to the PC board, and again no screws or anything else holding it. The PC board snaps easily in and out of the unit. Very easy.

They are sending me the new board, and after replacing it in the unit I am to send the old board back.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Stag556
Road Master

Originally Posted by Massive
It will be really easy to change out......all you do is remove and replace the PC board in the unit itself. You leave all your wiring and harnesses intact. The sides of the case easily pop off, no screws or anything else. The PC board has a ribbon pin connect to the PC board, and again no screws or anything else holding it. The PC board snaps easily in and out of the unit. Very easy.

They are sending me the new board, and after replacing it in the unit I am to send the old board back.
That's very good to know. Hopefully my problem solves itself but if not, good to know its fixable. That is as long as they know how to fix the issue. Lol

Old 03-21-2012, 06:03 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't know if it helps but when I routed the wires I took the time to run it in some plastic shielding form your local auto parts store.
I had to tighten my exhaust and intake. The intake had loosened up a bit.
Helps with the backfire I had in the beginning. Not any more.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:18 AM
RLE
Tourer

I dont understand how it can have no limititations if it cant adjust spark/timing tables?

Quick Reply: Cobra Auto Tuner