Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flare Windshield for Switchback, how much taller

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:27 AM
IronmOn
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flare Windshield for Switchback, how much taller

I am looking at possibly puting the Klock Werks, Billboard Flare windshield on my Switchback, but it is supposely taller.
Anyone now how much taller it actually is, as they don't give a measurement form the current hardware holes to the top of the Windshield.

http://www.kustombaggers.com/Klock-W...ductId=-243028

Old 04-10-2012, 05:33 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If the diagram is true to scale it is right about 14 1/4" from the top of the mounting holes to top of shield

Attached Thumbnails Flare Windshield for Switchback, how much taller-klock_werks.jpg  
Old 04-10-2012, 07:03 AM
IronmOn
Novice

Originally Posted by ynots
If the diagram is true to scale it is right about 14 1/4" from the top of the mounting holes to top of shield
Thanks, I can use that as a ball park figure for now.
When it warms up around here in Wisconsin again, I will get
to a HD dealer who sells them, as Klock Werks has a
TRY before YOU BUY promotion with their dealers.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

the try before you buy is awesome, do you know if klock werks sells just a replacement shield that will bolt on to HD oem hardware?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 PM
IronmOn
Novice

Originally Posted by ynots
the try before you buy is awesome, do you know if klock werks sells just a replacement shield that will bolt on to HD oem hardware?
Yea, I think that windshield is without the hardware.

http://www.kustombaggers.com/Billboa...atalogId=-1790

Old 04-23-2012, 08:17 AM
IronmOn
Novice

I contacted Klock Werks about the Billboard Flare windshield and this is the reply I recieved:

Thank you for contacting Klock Werks. We appreciate your interest in our Flare windshields. We do offer a Flare windshield for your 2012 FLD. The windshield that works with the OEM brackets is actually the same Flare windshield we offer for the Road King Models. Below I included the part numbers and some information about our Flare windshields. Our Billboard Flare that we offer now will be about an 1.5” taller than the stock shield. We are also coming out with a 16” Flare that will be available in about 4-6 weeks. Most of our try it before you buy it dealers only have windshields for the Batwing fairings. I only have a few dealers in the states with Billboard demos and unfortunately none are in your area. If you end up purchasing one directly from us we do offer a 30 day return and exchange policy if it doesn’t work for you. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me.

2310-0341 Tint

2310-0342 Clear

The NEW Klock Werks Billboard FLARE Windshield for Road Kings, Softails, Dyna Switchbacks and more! Modeled after the Original FLARE Windshield for Baggers, now almost every rider can get the same performance and style with bolt on ease! With Klock Werks' patented "hips" on the side and a flip at the top, these shields have been wind tunnel designed and tested to produce the same amount of additional down force as the original. Real world testing and computer simulation also produced heights that will work for most riders. Heights listed are measured from headlight opening to top of shield.

· Modeled after Original FLARE Windshield.

· Provides 15 lbs of downforce to the front of your bike.

· Feature patented Klock Werks Hips on side and Flip on top.

· 19 3/8" actual windshield height from the top of headlight cutout to the top edge

· Lexan® Polycarbonate with FMR hard coating is used to create these custom-molded designs with unmatched durability.

· Predrilled for easy mounting using stock windshield mounting hardware.

· Model available for 94-12 FLHR and 2012 FLD (Dyna Switchback) King Size Detachable

· For use with your stock mounting hardware.

· Made in the U.S.A.

· Retail Price - $229.95

Old 04-24-2012, 03:14 AM
FLD4sure
Cruiser

Supposed to be delivered today.
Soon as it's on I'll post a pic.
Bill
Phoenix,AZ

Old 04-24-2012, 05:15 AM
IronmOn
Novice

Originally Posted by FLD4sure
Supposed to be delivered today.
Soon as it's on I'll post a pic.
Bill
Phoenix,AZ
Sweet. If you can, please measure from the center mounting hole
to the top of the Windshield.
(outer side, so you don't get the flare bendage in the measurement)
That should give me the correct overall height to compare with.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 PM
FLD4sure
Cruiser
Default KW Billboard Flare on FLD

Got it installed and took a test ride with the Klock Werks Flare.
It is larger than the OEM and fits closeer to the headlight. No longer a big gap there that people are plugging with bags etc.

Measurements:
5/8 " Above the headlight
20" from headlight to top of shield (subtract 5/8 if want exact bottom to top)
1 1/2" wider on each side
3 1/4 " taller to the top
The "lip" isn't that noticeable as you look through it, I would count it as part of the height.

Looks really curvy and sexy. Follows the curved lines of the side fasteners, and looks good. OEM looks short, flat and boring compared to the Klock Werks.

Up to about 50-60 mph the wind is much smoother but still have good flow to your body so it itsn't too hot. Very clear and non distorted view through the wind shield.
My seat is lower and farther back than stock, so my view is through the windshield now. I was looking completely over the OEM windshield.

Arizona is very windy most of the time with gusts at 20-40mph + , down in the valleys between the mountain ranges.

I didn't notice a drastic difference at highway speeds, but there is less wind turbulence. I can also feel a little more drag, at 80-90mph, kind of like when you take your saddle bags off - you can tell there is less drag.

The front end does feel more stable with side gusts too, I guess due to the downward flow of the lip.

Plenty of air still hits me and my body but not so choppy as before. If you sit closer to the gas tank it might be even calmer.

So overall, I think it's a good deal, with cool looks, and extra stability. Could just a taller, wider, and closer to the headlight windshield do the same thing? Maybe, but the curves are sexy and custom looking, and it's reasonably priced at a little over 2 bills.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Phoenix,AZ

Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM
IronmOn
Novice

Originally Posted by FLD4sure
Got it installed and took a test ride with the Klock Werks Flare.
It is larger than the OEM and fits closeer to the headlight. No longer a big gap there that people are plugging with bags etc.

Measurements:
5/8 " Above the headlight
20" from headlight to top of shield (subtract 5/8 if want exact bottom to top)
1 1/2" wider on each side
3 1/4 " taller to the top
The "lip" isn't that noticeable as you look through it, I would count it as part of the height.
Glad you like it.
If at all possible, so that I have the same starting point
on both windshields, while facing the motorcycle, measure
from the center mounting hole in the middle of the flare windshield,
straight up to the top of the flare. That hole is set the same on both,
so it will work the easiest.

Quick Reply: Flare Windshield for Switchback, how much taller