Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary leaking on 04 wide glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:01 PM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Primary leaking on 04 wide glide

A friend of mine has noticed a small leak on the underside of his primary. He thinks it is the gasket for the outer primary but wanted to see what advice the forum members have on this. What other preventive maintenance should we check once the outer is off? We do have the service manual but it doesn't mention things like that. We have worked on old autos, tractors, combines, lawn mowers but this is the first we have opened up a HD. Front forks, brakes, handlebars, wiring and wheel removals are the extent of our HD experience.

TIA,
Curtis

Old 06-21-2012, 12:08 PM
bellgnte
Road Master

One more question. Once we take the outer off, is it just a gasket and primary fluid to get him going again?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:43 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Check the o-ring on the drain plug
Yes removing the primary outer cover is a simple task, but you need to be careful about the 2 small gaskets between the inner and outer primaries on the 2 long bolts in the inspection cover. When you get a new gasket they should also give you 2 small adhesive washer looking gaskets, those go between the inner and outer.
No need to remove the derby cover, unless that is where the leak is coming from, then just replace that gasket.

Simple job, maybe an hour tops.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Before pulling the cover off I would check the back of the inner primary for oil as the could be coming from there and dripping down to where you have found it.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:59 PM
bellgnte
Road Master

thanks for the advice

Old 06-21-2012, 01:16 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 332 Posts

Determine where the leak is for sure. If primary, replace gasket, re-attach cover, and fill with fluid.

I would suggest re-installing primary bolts by hand first, snug and then proper torque. Remembering to tighten in proper sequence.

If removing primary cover, do a visual inspection of area. Clutch adjustment?

Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer

Does it leak after you go for a ride then if you wipe it off, and don't touch the bike for a few days it don't leak. If so it is the seal that goes threw the inner primary cover were the jack shaft come's that the clutch and drive sprocket attach to.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 PM
bellgnte
Road Master

Originally Posted by ilovemyskidoo
Does it leak after you go for a ride then if you wipe it off, and don't touch the bike for a few days it don't leak. If so it is the seal that goes threw the inner primary cover were the jack shaft come's that the clutch and drive sprocket attach to.
That does sound like the symptom he has. I will verify. Good thought!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:29 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,342 Likes on 2,368 Posts

This will sound silly, if the trans oil is different than the primary then it will smell different. Smell the oil on the trans dipstick then smell the leaking oil. Smells the same then you found the source. Get a bright flashlight and look at the shaft going into the trans housing behind the primary, I've had to replace the shift shaft seal a couple of times in 45k miles.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:50 AM
bellgnte
Road Master

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
This will sound silly, if the trans oil is different than the primary then it will smell different. Smell the oil on the trans dipstick then smell the leaking oil. Smells the same then you found the source. Get a bright flashlight and look at the shaft going into the trans housing behind the primary, I've had to replace the shift shaft seal a couple of times in 45k miles.

Not silly at all. Great idea!

Thanks everyone for helping out with our dilemma. I am so glad I joined this forum when I bought my bike. Really nice to get unbiased help on something when you need it.

Quick Reply: Primary leaking on 04 wide glide