Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowrider Indicator Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Timmer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowrider Indicator Lights

Has anyone changed out their bars orchanged the riserson '06 Lowrider yet? What can be done about the indicator lights? I know Sammi asked about it before and now I'm wondering??? Tim
The indicator lights are built in to the top handle bar clamp

Ugly cover

Old 01-16-2007, 08:56 AM
smokermike
Cruiser
Default RE: Lowrider Indicator Lights

I did this at 1 time I had bars from a an risers from a 2006 wideglide on my lowrider I just snipped the wires an marked them ran them back under the tank gauge houseing drilled 5 holes small installed led lights 3 inbetween the speedo an tack 2 on the upper side of the bolts that hold it on you can get them at any radio shack in the green red an blue colors you need real easy an worked

Old 01-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Roadrider18
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 weeks ago I installed Wild1 560's

http://www.wild1inc.com/wo560e.html

with HD polyurthene bushings and chrome riser bolts.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

What a difference, both looks and ride comfort!

I installed LED panel lights
http://www.theledlight.com/panelmount.html
1 for each inidcator light (correctly color coded) and installed them in the dash between the speedo and
tach. This required some modification to the speedo/tach plastic mounting rings under the dash. Spliced,
solderedand shrink wrapped all wires.

You'll also need to slide the tank aft to gain access to the wiring harness bundles inside the frames top
tube.

If you don't have the 06 Dyna Service Manual, I highly recommend this $58 purchase before undertaking
this task. While the job is relatively easy, the SM will show you how things are disassmebled and
reassembled and most importantly, torque specs. And, to save you all the time looking (I liked to never
find these numbers) torque specs for the riser bolts are in "Critical Fasteners" in Chapter 1. BUT, if you
go with the poly/chrome bushings, the torque numbers included with the instruction are much less than the
numbers in the SM, go with the instructions!

I'll get a jpeg posted today.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:24 PM
kruppasing
5th Gear

that was the only option i could come up with also. i want to get rid of the risers and put on some mini-apes and the damn indicator lights was stopping me. sounds like it ends up being a pretty simple job--true?

Old 01-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Roadrider18
Tourer

Here are my LED lights I ref'd in above post.

Turn yellow turn signals upper left/right
Green Neutral lower left
Red Oil PSI lower right
Blue High Beam middle right between speedo/tach

[IMG]local://upfiles/19541/F2C8C77FC3B34B1AB42086899015E136.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Timmer
Road Captain

RR, man that looks nice!You did one heck of a job. Thank you for that detailed post. It looks like from the Wild1 site they completely eliminated thier lights on that '06.They aren't too cheap, 'ey? They sure are sharp looking, though.How do you like them? Looks like the reach would be shortend up a whole bunch. Couldn't imagine what it would it would be like with an actual straightend up back, not being all hunched over. Great job! Timmer

Old 01-16-2007, 08:31 PM
kzad
Advanced

I did pretty much the same thing, except I used 3mm "water clear" leds, mounted from underneath. Blend in nice when not lit, but very bright, correct green blue and red colors when lit.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4574/BC4FC8E8B47640A7B1784306D886CD64.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4574/A866608AF8F3420ABCEBF6E37A5AA324.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4574/6A816546AAF84C65A8EDF8F45534FB4F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Roadrider18
Tourer

Very nice job. I looked at the 3mm water-clears, but, couldn't figure out an effective way to waterproof them without a bezel and lockring from underneath. That's why I went with the panel LEDs. Took up more room and the install isn't as clean looking as yours.

I talked with the guys at Wild1 and they said the warning lights were completely eliminated on the black '06 FXDLI. Definitely voids the warranty. I had some warranty work done last week and the dealer didn't have any issues with my relocated warning lights. As long as low oil psi is illuminated somewhere was good enough for him.

I've probably realized at least 2" of more pullback compared to the OEM's. Plus my hands are in a lower more comfortable position for me.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:41 PM
kzad
Advanced

I used a 7/64 bit, reamed just enough to get a tight fit, put a liittle super glue around the base then pushed them up from underneath, then a blob of silicon. All connections soldered and shrink wrapped...very sturdy and waterproof right now, we'll see how they hold up to the vibrations but i think I'll be OK. (I priced out a new chrome dash before I drilled mine just in case, though.) My next option was going to be the'06 risers with integral indicators, but then I was still limited in bar choices.Now I can go with some nice t-bars like your 560's if I want to...

Old 01-17-2007, 04:17 AM
Timmer
Road Captain

RR, do you have some pic's of your bars installed. Any with you sitting on the bike and holding on to the bars? Trying to get a visual on the reach. Thanks. Tim

Quick Reply: Lowrider Indicator Lights