Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

edge brackets or bare backs for quick detach

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default edge brackets or bare backs for quick detach

bought myself some HD saddle bags today. ordered the synthetic leather bags that i plan on running as a quick detach option when i take a road trip. they actually, as much as i'm opposed to saddle bags, look pretty good mounted on the bike.

my question to you guys running quick detach bags...should i go with edge brackets or the bare backs mounting system?

i've read nothing but good reviews about the edge brackets here on this site, but the dealer was pushing the bare backs system which looks pretty simple.

i'm looking for the bags to be secure but easily removable, and i'd like as little left on the bike when they're off as possible.

thanks for your help

Old 05-28-2013, 07:20 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the barebacks and they're pretty trick... they're also really tight, so the detach isn't always so quick.

the real good thing about them is how little there is to attach to the bags - yours (like mine) have a molded back and the barebacks attach using the mounting holes already in the bag. the edge brackets use 4 mounting points (on the bag) and their installation instructions tell you to drill the bags!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by iDodgimus
i have the barebacks and they're pretty trick... they're also really tight, so the detach isn't always so quick.

the real good thing about them is how little there is to attach to the bags - yours (like mine) have a molded back and the barebacks attach using the mounting holes already in the bag. the edge brackets use 4 mounting points (on the bag) and their installation instructions tell you to drill the bags!
thanks for the info.

how much work is switching out the bare backs hardware for the stock fender hardware?

i'd really only have the bags on for trips, and i'd replace the hardware when i return and am riding around town

Old 05-28-2013, 08:16 PM
gsreimers
Tourer
Received 159 Likes on 76 Posts

no reason to switch out the bareback hardware when the bags are not on. You can get a chrome button cover to go over the stud and it looks great. I've had barebacks on my dyna for about 8 years and love them

Old 05-28-2013, 08:20 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master

it's four bolts, 2 on each fender strut but if you're switching out that hardware then there's no need to use quick detach at all, just bolt the bags on and then unbolt them when you're done.

the bareback hardware left behind is minimal, mine only stick out because i have quick detach backrest as well, that gives an extra 3/4 inch or so

Old 05-28-2013, 08:45 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

i don't know how the bags mount when they're rigid mounted, but i really don't want a bag sitting against my strut cover.

for instance, i'm headed up to laconia so before i leave i'll swap out the hardware, mount the bags, remove the bags when i get up there and ride around with the QD hardware on then swap hardware out when i get back home and return to around town riding.

not saying that the hardware with the button cover doesn't look good, but nothing is gonna look better than the black powdercoated buttonhead bolts i have holding my fender on now.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member

I have had Edge brackets for 4 years. They have been very solid. My bags, as required, have the hard plastic back which you do drill through, but this is very secure and not difficult. I have a couple of times forgotten to lock the bracket, which locks down the bag, and the bag has not fallen off! To look at the azz end of my bike is a bit ugly, as the bags stick out like big goofy ears, but the bags are off the struts. Bags off and the two mounting posts look good. PM me if interested toastman and I can take a couple of close up pics.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 PM
BdG74
Advanced

I have the barebacks. Wanted something simple. You can't lock your bags to your bike with the barebacks though. I did have to drill out the mounting bracket on the fender to fit the bb bolts through, but other than that it was a quick attachment.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master

Originally Posted by toastman
not saying that the hardware with the button cover doesn't look good, but nothing is gonna look better than the black powdercoated buttonhead bolts i have holding my fender on now.
you've got a point there...

removing the BB hardware from the bike would take you about 5 minutes even if you dropped a bolt and spend a minute looking for it! They just replace the buttonhead bolts you have.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:13 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by iDodgimus
you've got a point there...

removing the BB hardware from the bike would take you about 5 minutes even if you dropped a bolt and spend a minute looking for it! They just replace the buttonhead bolts you have.
thats exactly the info i was looking for. thanks for that.

just curious...if i were to hard mount the bags...do they sit right up against the fender strut?

Quick Reply: edge brackets or bare backs for quick detach