Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky belt

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Squeaky belt

I've been hearing this annoying squeaky sound for a couple of weeks that has progressively been getting louder, or maybe I'm just listening for it more and more.. In any case, discovered my belt is making the squeaking sound.

Hit it with some silicon spray and it's good for about a day then starts to sound like two mice ******** themselves silly again.

Tried re-tensioning it, didn't make a difference, put a bit of slack in it, no difference, over tensioned it, no difference.

Inspected the belt as best I can without pulling it off the bike and it looks fine. No breaks or tears and the belt profile where I can see it is even and unworn. It rides in the pulley just fine.

Short of swapping it out, any other suggestions as to what i can do about it?
It's driving me nuts, I can hear it over the sound of my V&H pipes to give you an idea of how loud it is.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Washing the belt with soap and water should remove the sqeak

Old 07-09-2013, 05:44 PM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

What about alignment? Also when the rear pulley gets worn out it will make bad squeaking noises. Maybe there's something you could do to quiet it down, but fact is something is off or worn out. How many miles?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:37 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also vote for belt/wheel alignment.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah, squeaking sounds like its going to be more of a metal wear...

Old 07-10-2013, 01:36 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

Alignment looks ok to my mark 1 eyeball, but I'll get it checked anyway. Bike has just shy of 30k miles on it.

Issue is definitely the belt. I'll try washing it with soap and water as suggested as well.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 AM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

heres a old trick that works ive used it a lot on car drive belts, TALCUM powder BABY POWDER basic bathroom personal powder cover the belt with it stops sqeaks dead,

Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by loopie
heres a old trick that works ive used it a lot on car drive belts, TALCUM powder BABY POWDER basic bathroom personal powder cover the belt with it stops sqeaks dead,
it works well. Sometimes have to run a few thousands out of alignment believe it or not and it goes away. Nothing you will notice riding. Now you do have to get the silicone off. Small wire brush and soap and water. I use windshield washer fluid.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to be safe, check your wheel bearings. After 08 they have had issues. My back brake started making noises which turned out to be the wheel bearing, twice...second time did 1200 dollars damage including the belt...ride safe.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

When this first started I thought it was the wheel bearings, but was never certain. I was all set to change them out this weekend but before doing so I decided I'd silicon spray the belt again just to be certain, and the noise disappeared.

I checked the alignment today and it is spot on. I'll try the talcum powder if the noise comes back, after washing the belt as previously suggested.

Quick Reply: Squeaky belt