Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheelie help!!!! Setup? What am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 12:19 AM
highwayman1224
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 07-20-2013, 02:34 AM
LagunaGlide
Road Master
Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Simple Man
If you have to ask how to do one, you have no business doing it.
I agree completely, but I sure do like Darwin. One trick to getting a front wheel up on a bike that is a bit underpowered is to load the front end. Before you give it throttle bounce down on the front end, and then punch it. The forks springing back up will give the front end a bit more momentum.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:12 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Some like the fun of doing a wheelie.

Check out this thread on the forum....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...y-video-4.html

Madnss is pretty good at em on a Harley.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-20-2013, 03:16 AM
pikeysxtcob
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I feel the same about all that chrome and leather to be honest. A new generation of riders is here and we don't want to just cruise around national parks and chat with our wife's on the back through a Bluetooth intercom. This was just to honestly get some advice. I grew up on bikes, I'm young and honestly have always enjoyed pushing the limits on anything I do. Cruise up on your bagger to the bar... Cool, maybe snap a few old broad. Ride by on a wheelie and watch the pu** melt on your face.

I hope no one takes offense to this as I am just trying to make a joke. Every generation has a tendency to push the limits. Someone recently told me "harley wheelies are dumb, save it for the street bikers" it's a completely different shock and suspense when you see this heavy beast come up at 12 o'clock and scrape the rear fender. Looking literally like a monster coming down the road. A bike that wants to do nothing more then keep its fat a** on the ground is literally coming at you on one wheel.

I'm into it. Maybe I won't ever get them up but I'll keep trying thanks to everyone for putting your options and tips

The following 2 users liked this post by pikeysxtcob:
samsquanch (01-25-2021), shakyb eg (01-25-2021)
Old 07-20-2013, 03:21 AM
fireman64
Road Warrior
Received 1,583 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackburnD
I agree completely, but I sure do like Darwin. One trick to getting a front wheel up on a bike that is a bit underpowered is to load the front end. Before you give it throttle bounce down on the front end, and then punch it. The forks springing back up will give the front end a bit more momentum.
I don't do mess around on my ultra, but I agree with the bounce.
It will help with getting the wheel up. But it's really not worth the hassle.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:37 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

set off in first, just above walking speed.
This should have your revs around the area of your peak torque.
snap the throttle open, as you dip the clutch in and out. The clutch dip is the key, it is done as quick as a blink of an eye, and the lever doesn't have to come in too far, just passed the biting point. The lever does have to snap back out violently.

Cover back brake to avoid flipping.

Don't blame me if you try this and snap your belt, **** your transmission, total your bike or hurt yourself.

I would think it's best to learn on a smaller motorcycle or even a push bike as I wouldn't try a wheelie on a large motorcycle if I didn't know about the balance point, or basic technique.

Have fun.

The following users liked this post:
PhillySoldier (10-23-2019)
Old 07-20-2013, 03:49 AM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboy slim
snap the throttle open, as you dip the clutch in and out. The clutch dip is the key, it is done as quick as a blink of an eye, and the lever doesn't have to come in too far, just passed the biting point. The lever does have to snap back out violently.

Don't blame me if you try this and snap your belt, **** your transmission, total your bike or hurt yourself.

I would think it's best to learn on a smaller motorcycle or even a push bike as I wouldn't try a wheelie on a large motorcycle if I didn't know about the balance point, or basic technique.

Have fun.

What he said will get you there.

Good explanation Fatboy Slim!

Old 07-20-2013, 03:51 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

And here is a wheelie on a Bagger-

Name:  BaggerWheelie_zps5cab8aa4.jpg
Views: 13325
Size:  40.1 KB

Old 07-20-2013, 07:13 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I kind of agree that if you have to ask you probably shouldn't try. If you haven't already wheelied enough smaller **** to know how, a Harley isn't a good place to start.
That being said...

Originally Posted by fatboy slim

Have fun.
This is a pretty good explanation. It's a lot harder on an underpowered bike (less than 100hp) but just takes a little different technique. First gear, low speed, two fingers on the clutch and just snap the clutch while giving it throttle. You have to learn the feel and what rpm your bike likes. Get the tire hot if you have to to make it hook, transfer your weight back.

Check out the link in my sig for a little how-to. Watch clutch and throttle. That was 95hp 100 ft lbs. It's lighter and 40 more hp now, Will come up in 2nd or 3rd now.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:49 AM
Thunderpants
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Side note : if your rear tire is worn out, the twisting force of your high torque low hp engine will break rear traction before it lifts the front wheel. Just like Annie's fatboy in T2. Lol. Don't break your ***.

Quick Reply: Wheelie help!!!! Setup? What am I doing wrong?