Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Dyna Hard Bag Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Another Dyna Hard Bag Conversion

I really like the looks of the hard bags, on a Dyna or not. So I thought long and hard about how to modify the bags to fit, and the brackets to install them. After pondering it for a month or so I see a post where someone had done a set of bags and installed a fairing, both with quick detach hardware and easily removable. Perfect, exactly what I wanted to do, so here goes.
I found a set of bags on Ebay used for $160.00 so ordered them, a set of aftermarket hardware and found a set of HD latch covers. Since the bags are made of ABS I bought some 4" ABS drain pipe, cut the bags and glued them in, moved the tab that holds the lid in the front to the middle, and fabbed some brackets.

This winter I will extend the rear fender and fab some filler panels to the saddlebag brackets, so they can be removed also. The bags have just been painted and are drying atm. I will post pics of them soon. Now to relocate the license plate, find some lights I like, and a fairing, 21" wheel and maybe a raked triple. (Where does it end!!! lol). I plan on some custom paint this winter if I have time and can decide on a scheme I like.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master

BTW the passenger pillion, won't be on there without the sissy bar and backrest. I plan to keep it all off unless the OL decides she wants to ride

Old 08-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Just curious, but did you use ABS glue or a plastic type glue

Old 08-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Converted_HD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still on the fence for hard or soft bags.....

Old 08-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master

I used 2 different epoxies for ABS

Old 08-28-2013, 05:24 PM
rawb101
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ndfastln
I really like the looks of the hard bags, on a Dyna or not. So I thought long and hard about how to modify the bags to fit, and the brackets to install them. After pondering it for a month or so I see a post where someone had done a set of bags and installed a fairing, both with quick detach hardware and easily removable. Perfect, exactly what I wanted to do, so here goes.
I found a set of bags on Ebay used for $160.00 so ordered them, a set of aftermarket hardware and found a set of HD latch covers. Since the bags are made of ABS I bought some 4" ABS drain pipe, cut the bags and glued them in, moved the tab that holds the lid in the front to the middle, and fabbed some brackets.

This winter I will extend the rear fender and fab some filler panels to the saddlebag brackets, so they can be removed also. The bags have just been painted and are drying atm. I will post pics of them soon. Now to relocate the license plate, find some lights I like, and a fairing, 21" wheel and maybe a raked triple. (Where does it end!!! lol). I plan on some custom paint this winter if I have time and can decide on a scheme I like.
NDfastin, im also looking for bags. i have a 2013 SB debating on soft or hard. I think i just made my decision... LOOKS FREAKN AWESOME MAN!!

Old 08-28-2013, 05:25 PM
06BlackWG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm headed in that direction. Have the bags, lids, brackets. Like the ABS pipe idea. Waiting for the weather to cool down before starting. Not sure about my rear fender. May need to find something different. Love to see how you fill in the gaps. What do you plan on using.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:59 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

Some real fine fabbin' there; like them a lot...time and skill to make what you want work

Old 08-28-2013, 07:46 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im trying to decide on hard or soft bags

Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master

Originally Posted by 06BlackWG
I'm headed in that direction. Have the bags, lids, brackets. Like the ABS pipe idea. Waiting for the weather to cool down before starting. Not sure about my rear fender. May need to find something different. Love to see how you fill in the gaps. What do you plan on using.
I'll just bend up some sheetmetal until it looks right, lol. I'm still tossing around ideas but I may use some exhaust pipe, mandrel bent, and cut roughly in half, for a curve then maybe tack some sheetmetal for the flat areas. It'll be a couple months before I get around to that. Several trips planned, and busy season coming up.

Quick Reply: Another Dyna Hard Bag Conversion