Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about breather for intake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:41 PM
toku58
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question about breather for intake?

Is it normal for the A/C to have black color oil dripping from the bottom of the A/C?

I believe it's coming from the cylinder head breathers attached to my A/C. Does this mean I have too much oil in the motor?

Is this something I need to worry about?

Should the oil be a black graphite color?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-10-2013, 12:45 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Normal but with a better AC you can prevent it. The breather oil is picking up dirt from your air cleaner as it drips.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First things to check is your engine oil level. If its over halfway up the dipstick then remove some with a turkey baster.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:12 PM
toku58
Tourer

So when I fill the oil in the engine I should only go half way of the mark on the dip stick?

I see the condition of the filter element when I take it apart later today.
Is there any way you guys know to avoid from this happening again? Or is it just something I'll have to deal with??

Old 12-10-2013, 05:17 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by toku58
So when I fill the oil in the engine I should only go half way of the mark on the dip stick?

Is there any way you guys know to avoid from this happening again? Or is it just something I'll have to deal with??
Buy an AC set up that vents engine air to atmosphere and not back into the throttlebody like the EPA wants.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:51 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Many posts on this subject, use the search function, also go to DK Customs, he is a forum sponsor. He has breather bolts that solve your problem. If your not "green" you can vent them under the bike and outside the motor. Many opinions on this.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:56 PM
toku58
Tourer

I've seen the vent bolts but I wouldn't want the oil dripping on my motor. I guess I need to find tubing that's long enough to vent it straight down under the bike.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:25 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,954 Likes on 2,306 Posts

The best thing you can do is get a True Stage 1 Air Cleaner.

There are only a few companies making true performance Stage 1 intakes anymore.

DK Custom
NRHS
Hammer

I don't know of any others.

Pushing blow-by back into the air cleaner is counter productive to performance. What comes out of the breathers is primarily exhaust and oil.

It is also hot. Engines perform better with cool dry air and gas...not hot oily air and gas.

Additionally the exhaust gas has a lower oxygen content, displacing oxygen on each combustion stroke. Another performance robber.

Oil will build up carbon deposits on the pistons, leading to pinging/tuning problems down the road.

It's just a bad idea...the only upside is you make the EPA happy.

You can see the dozens of different looks of the DK Custom Outlaw A/C's HERE. Also at that link are dyno charts showing the bump in torque and HP, by just NOT venting the hot oily air into the intake.

Below is a link to a recent thread with lots of good info on the subject-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ce-intake.html

Here is a link that has some very useful information on limiting oil carry-over to the air cleaner if you decide to stay with an EPA compliant air cleaner.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-r...f-my-bike.html

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-10-2013, 07:29 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,954 Likes on 2,306 Posts

I've seen the vent bolts but I wouldn't want the oil dripping on my motor. I guess I need to find tubing that's long enough to vent it straight down under the bike.
The Outlaw Breather Bolts do not drip oil on the motor...unless something is wrong with the motor, in which case, you can use the Traditional Hose & Filter set up.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:18 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
First things to check is your engine oil level. If its over halfway up the dipstick then remove some with a turkey baster.

Had the same problem after my first (1K) service...the jackholes over-filled my engine oil and it came from the AC. Used the turkey baster to pull out more than a pint to get the cold level back down the half way up the dipstick. Never happened again (mostly because I change my own fluids now).

Quick Reply: Question about breather for intake?