Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Diagnosing Primary Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:48 PM
BuckeyeUltra
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help Diagnosing Primary Leak

Here's the scoop: gnarley sound(s) coming from the primary. No big deal, I assume compensator nut has come loose. Pulled the primary cover, torqued the comp nut back to spec and button everything up. In a rush, I reused the oring on the drain plug.

I started the bike up after the job and let it idle for a min. or two - no leaks.

Rode to work this morning and to my surprise, by the time I got off the bike and put my helmet down there was a good sized puddle, it drops from multiple places every 5 to 10 seconds when warm.

I come home and try to troubleshoot:
retorque all the primary bolts in the order per the SM. Take it around the block - same leak.
Dumped brand new primary fluid to replace oring on plug (used Teflon tape on threads for good measure. Clean everything off and take it around the block - same result.

Any thoughts? Its really weird how it is leaking from both the frame rails and down the primary. you can see in the one picture, there is some "gasket squeeze". I couldn't capture it all, but I don't think the gasket is the issue here. I read a lot of threads on primary leaks and the consensus seemed to be shift shaft seal - but this wasn't an issue before I pulled the outer cover, why now? BTW I didn't have to beat on the cover to get it off, it literally fell off after removing all the bolts.

Attached Thumbnails Help Diagnosing Primary Leak-leak-1.jpg   Help Diagnosing Primary Leak-leak-2.jpg   Help Diagnosing Primary Leak-leak-3.jpg  
Old 08-01-2014, 08:54 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Was the condition of your primary cover gasket good? Have you checked the mating surfaces of your inner and outer primary covers for any damage?

Old 08-01-2014, 09:41 PM
BuckeyeUltra
Cruiser

The old gasket looked good, equally deformed all the way around and no tears. Checked mating services, wiped everything down with a rag and ran my fingernail over both surfaces looking for something to catch - didn't notice anything.

I was just reading a different thread about plugging the shifter shaft hole if forwards are on. I do have forwards, possibly thats the issue? Still doesn't explain a sudden leak that wasn't there before.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Covers are usually bowed out. You need to work center outward to seal correctly. I always smear a film of black rtv on the cover face and the mating engine case. Then stick the new 3 layer with slight V shaped $30+ Harley gasket and do the torque top to bottom left to right. I just do it by fill since you are squeezing a gasket. I use my 1/4 drive ratchet with the extension between my fingers. I give it 24 hours for the rtv to set and use a cotton cloth to roll it off the cover and block. It pills right off once dry. Will make a mess if you do it wet. Then I get it hot and redo the torque run. My cover rocks a good 1/32" placed on with out a gasket. Amazes me every time it seals. If you get the outside too tight first, it probably would not seal.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:29 PM
BuckeyeUltra
Cruiser

HD Pilot / Rip Saw thanks for the input.

I ended up tearing the primary apart again to see what was going on. When i pulled the cover off the first time i overlooked the tower gasket. Funny thing is i remember seeing it when i took the cover off - must have forgot about it. Anyway, i replaced it with a genuine james tower gasket off of J&P cycles. Went around the block a few times and no leaks!

Old 08-06-2014, 09:59 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Great, I thought it had to be something associated woth you opening up the primary and not some new seal or bearing problem. I did not think about that gasket because I don't have one, HD stopped using them on tne newer models.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:31 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BuckeyeUltra
HD Pilot / Rip Saw thanks for the input.

I ended up tearing the primary apart again to see what was going on. When i pulled the cover off the first time i overlooked the tower gasket. Funny thing is i remember seeing it when i took the cover off - must have forgot about it. Anyway, i replaced it with a genuine james tower gasket off of J&P cycles. Went around the block a few times and no leaks!
Glad you found the problem. However, I'm not sure what you are talking about. What are you referring to as the tower gasket?

Old 08-07-2014, 07:31 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

I believe it is where the mid controls shifter would be going through the primary.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Makes sense, there are two of those on mine that stick on with a little double sided tape. Similar thing. They are behind the two long bolts that hold my cover on where you adjust the chain. Left off, oil would run out back side thru the threads. Details will bite you in the butt on a Harley.