Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Problem with HD LED tail light kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 12:54 PM
bobsull
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with HD LED tail light kit

New guy in the forums and I would really appreciate some help.
I've got a huge problem with the way the tour pack light bar kit turn signals operate. I have a 2011 FLTRX with a detachable king tour pack. I purchased LED kit 67931-11 hoping to add a little more light to the back of the bike. Let me say I don't have any problem working with the connectors Harley uses on the bikes. I have the proper tools to crimp, pin, unpin on molex, deutch, etc. connectors.
First, apparently the kit is designed for the touring bikes that have the main rear lighting connector under the seat (connector 7 in service manual wiring diagrams). '11 FLTRX has the main disconnect under the left side cover near the fuse box and it's a different style connector (connector 257). So, first thing I did was rebuild the Y harness supplied in the kit to fit my connectors. I also had to extend the harness that goes from tour pack to main harness, to reach the left side cover area. I cross checked four ways from Sunday to make sure colors and pins/sockets matched. I checked color visually from socket connector to pin connector, I used multimeter to check for shorts wire-wire, wire to ground, proper continuity etc. I didn't find anything wrong.
Here is how the whole thing operates on my bike. Power on, all three segments light in running light mode, brake on, all three segments light brighter in brake mode, left or right turn signal on, both left and right segments flash off and on from running light mode as if emergency flashers are engaged but not as bright.
The front and rear lights on the bike operate correctly with or without the led bar plugged in.
I've tried temporarily installing the kit on another bike ('13 Street Glide). It operated the same as on my bike.
I think the run, brake, signal module that's part of the harness in the kit has a problem but there isn't any way I can test that since I don't have another handy to swap out.
Has anyone heard of this problem before and more important, has anyone figured out the problem and how to fix it?

Thanks
Bob

Old 03-05-2015, 07:58 PM
bobsull
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED kit problem solved

I found the problem and fixed it. The kit comes with a harness that has a run/brake/turn module as part of it. It has two connectors, one 8 pin that connects the light bar with the module and the other a 6 pin from the module to the bike. The connector from the light bar to the module was pinned up at the factory and has three black wires, one solid black, one black with a violet stripe and one black with a brown stripe. The problem was with the striped black wires, they were inserted in the wrong part of the connector so I swapped them and all lights and functions are now working correctly.
Bob

Last edited by bobsull; 03-05-2015 at 08:01 PM.