Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Expected Battery Life

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Expected Battery Life

Ok, I brought my self a new 17 1200 Custom 20 months ago and I’m finding that the battery that came with the bike is now requiring charging before a days ride. Now once out in the road it will start at a quick push on the button , But if I leave the bike sit for a day or 2, starting is a different story.

Has HD had issues with bad battery’s or should I be looking elsewhere before I go back to the dealer.

Always greatfull

Wiz Out 😊

Old 11-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Get a new battery. Whoever gives you the best deal for a correct battery. Some last longer. Some don't. Nothing wrong with Harley but you probably pay a premium.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:34 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 538 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Get a new battery. Whoever gives you the best deal for a correct battery. Some last longer. Some don't. Nothing wrong with Harley but you probably pay a premium.
My original battery lasted 4 years. I replaced it with a POWER SOURCE battery I got from an aftermarket store. That one lasted 8 years. Since the aftermarket battery lasted twice as long and cost 1/2 as much as a replacement from Harley does that mean it is 4 times better?

Seriously, as RIPSAW indicated " Whoever gives you the best deal for a correct battery".

Old 11-11-2018, 02:53 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,250 Likes on 11,136 Posts

I’d suggest some diagnostics first:
- load test on the battery
- when the battery is fully charged, disconnect the negative post on the baterry, then let the bike sit for a few days. If the battery still drains down...it’s the battery. If the battery does not drain down, then you have some kind of parasitic load that is draining it.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:55 PM
fltrxcrzy
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like your bike is still under the the MoCo's factory warranty if its under 24 months. Your battery should be covered. BUT, you'll have to bring the WHOLE bike and battery installed to confirm that the battery is failing to hold a change, or an electrical issue that's causing the draw.

I made this mistake by taking the battery out myself and bring it to Modesto HD. The parts manager was a total D**K about the whole thing, although his rational did make sense! However, I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and knew my battery was gone because I always had it on a battery tender. AND, wouldn't take a charge on my regular battery charger either....

Even though this wasn't my first brand new bike I've bought from Modersto HD (first being my '12 FLTRX) they didn't extend ANY courtesy. I got so turned off by his attitude, I just bought a HD battery from them and reinstalled it myself.

I also have bad history/experiences with they service department too, and didn't care for them to hack up my bike with a simple battery install either...just saying.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:03 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,784 Posts

My last two came from Walmart at apx 2/3 less then the MotherShip. They lasted around 4 years. Harley's lasted 5 years.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:56 PM
fltrxcrzy
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
My last two came from Walmart at apx 2/3 less then the MotherShip. They lasted around 4 years. Harley's lasted 5 years.
I couldn't agree more with you more... Typically the HD batteries have lasted 4 to 5 years for me too on my other bikes. But, I'm thinking HD changed vendors for their batteries in the last couple of years. I've gone through two batteries on my '14 now?

Old 11-12-2018, 02:52 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I’d suggest some diagnostics first:
- load test on the battery
- when the battery is fully charged, disconnect the negative post on the baterry, then let the bike sit for a few days. If the battery still drains down...it’s the battery. If the battery does not drain down, then you have some kind of parasitic load that is draining it.
Yep, took your advice and it’s the battery. Put it on the Harley battery tender over the weekend and it had a full ( green ) light on it for over 12 hours. I then let the battery sit all Saturday night to Sunday morning, reconnected the terminals, it did start but pretty much the Speedo display went blank , starter groaned and lumped the motor over real slow but enough for it to catch and fire.

Im calling the dealer tomorrow about a replacement.

Thanks for ya help once more guys👍.

Wiz 🍺

Old 11-12-2018, 03:57 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,723 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Why do bike batteries seemingly only last 4 to 5 years?

My brand new car I had 10 years and did 122000miles. It still had the same battery when I sold the car with not a hint of a problem from it.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:34 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fltrxcrzy
I couldn't agree more with you more... Typically the HD batteries have lasted 4 to 5 years for me too on my other bikes. But, I'm thinking HD changed vendors for their batteries in the last couple of years. I've gone through two batteries on my '14 now?
Ok what I’m looking for is something above the stock 240 cca rating but not finding anything close to that on line.

Yeah having the Hebei jeebies about the stealers cocking up somethingnin my bike doing a batt check swap out.

Wiz 🍺

Quick Reply: Expected Battery Life