Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

88 FLHTC starter/ignition woes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 07:23 PM
Daveboone
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 88 FLHTC starter/ignition woes...

Hi Folks....
After being mothballed for almost 6 years, I finally have the time to pull my 88 Electraglide Classic out of the shed anticipate getting her back on the road this year. She basically was put away for lack of time to keep her running/ riding, and had (gulp...dont shoot me) a back up Yamaha Royal Star Tour which was alot easier to keep on the road and running with minimal monkey wrenching.
I was delighted to get her fired up and running pretty smoothly after just flushing the tank, lines and carb, and putting some new plugs in. I took her around the block a few times. She would fire right up but only after a very labored turnover and slow crank, (which I recall had slowly worsened before putting it away, but was def, worse at this time) then stopped cranking at all. I got a quiet click from the right side in the area of the starter relay, but nothing from the starter or solenoid.
I had a new fully charge and holding battery. In looking up potential concerns esp. considering the age of the bike, the solenoid was a likely candidate: Pulling the old one, it looked horrible: lots of carbon inside, the plunger was sticky as hell and the washer on the end of the plunger and the contacts were heavily worn and deeply pitted. Today I put in a new Accel solenoid and because they were cheap, and a new starter relay.
No change in symptoms. I get a click from the r side (not sure if it is from the relay or circuit breaker).
I thoroughly cleaned and reconnected/ tightened all grounds. And rechecked all. With the ignition switch on run, all accessories work, but if I hit the starter...just the click. (yes, the run switch is on). I was very particular with the wiring, and everything is back the way it was, and it is acting exactly the same as it was when the starter quit on me.(althought the dash voltmeter on the bike is reading higher than it was...about 12.5 where it was around 10 sitting with just the accessories on.)
I have a cheap volt meter, which is showing me current at the top lug on the solenoid, and both posts of the circuit breaker next to the starter relay (which is about the extent of my electrical ability).
Any thoughts?