Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Custom Dynamics Wizard Lights problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:54 PM
SGT Rock TN
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Dynamics Wizard Lights problem

I installed Custom Dynamics Wizard Lights last fall and have been pretty happy with them as they provide some visibility in the dark on my Night Train when riding these dark back country roads. One reason I went with them is the ability to pick your light color, that way it isn't always the same color and I can avoid any color that might cause legal problems.

The other night I turned them on and now two lights have "lost" colors. As I toggle between colors two will not completely keep up with the rest of the lights on my 6 pod set. I say "completely" because one light actually will show a couple of different colors at the same time.

I've checked wiring and cleaned connections and that didn't change a thing. All I can think of is somehow these two pods got damage by something. Heat? Water? Fuel? Something I'm not thinking of. Anyway, before I call the company I wanted to see if anyone had experienced the same thing and found a fix.

Thanks.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:56 PM
SGT Rock TN
Advanced

Follow up:

Today I called Wizard Lights customer service. Later today a tech called me back and gave me some instructions to trouble shoot the lights. I figured I would pass them on here:

Disconnect lights from the connectors that connect the control box. Using a nine volt battery, the black wire is negative, and the three colored wires each control one of the LED colors. Touch one wire at a time to positive to troubleshoot each light. Red, Green, and Blue.

Results:
2 lights passed, everything worked as intended.
1 light all colors worked, but on one of the colors (blue I think) only three of the 6 light pods worked.
3 lights each had one color that would not work.

The tech I talked to couldn't figure out a reason for this. He asked if they were near any heat sources. One was sort of near the front rocker box, but no closer than a couple of inches. Opposite side of the motorcycle in the same position (under the tank) the other worked perfectly. One was near the oil tank, but that one is the one where only three pods out of 6 worked. Two that didn't function in one entire color were no where near exhaust or anything that could have caused a problem. I've not ridden the bike in the rain since installing them, it has mostly sat in my garage. I have washed the bike, but that shouldn't cause an issue as it has never been done with high pressure water.

I was instructed to take them to the point of purchase for exchange, which is Smokey Mountain Harley Davidson. I talked to the parts guys there and apparently they have exchanged some others, but when sent into the Custom Dynamics factory, the factory tested them and refuse to reimburse the dealership for the replacements. I told them I didn't need the lights back right away. So they are going to send the lights to Custom Dynamics so they can also test them to see if they are bad and covered under the Lifetime Warranty.

So far everyone I talked to at Custom Dynamics has been polite, straight forward, helpful, and appear to be above board. So I have hope that I'll get the problem fixed under the warranty. The only troubling thought at this point is how the dealership said they have been stuck with bad lights from the Custom Dynamics people not preplacing them for the bad ones on their end. I hope that this was just some procedural thing or misunderstanding and that following the steps I have so far makes it good. I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:22 PM
SGT Rock TN
Advanced

Finally resolution. After 3 months I finally received my replacement lights from Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson after they got them back from Custom Dynamics. It has been a long wait, but they did honor the warranty.