Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Still having issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 01:26 PM
venomv8
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still having issues.

Ok, Ive exhausted every route possible this motorcycle is down right pissing me off now. For starters my battery negative terminal was melted and had no power when i tried starting it one day. Figured out it was a loose connection on terminal that arced. So bought new battery and put it in and notice my speedometer/odometer isnt working at all. No back light no nothing. I took it out checked the plug and sure enough i have voltage at the plug in the back of speedometer. So i went and spent $275 on a new tach/speedo combo from harley. I plug it in data port to get miles copied over and nothing. It gives me an error code on the LCD that read "NO SPD". And will not copy miles. Now. I call Harley tech support and the lady sends me to manager after she couldnt figure it out. Manager tells me that they have no clue what that error code means. You would think they would know being they are the ones ones programmed the damn code to pop up on the LCD. I digress, so I go to local Harley dealer where i bought gauge, they tell me that they dont know the code but their best guess is that maybe the speed sensor is bad and try replacing it. So i spend the $63 for a new sensor get home install and still get same error code! I have now checked and replaced all fuses, starter relay, battery, speed sensor, speedometer, and also ohmed wires to check for short in which there is none, also checked and made sure i had correct voltage at each sensor in the system (which i do). Im am honestly at my wits end the bike starts, runs, rides, no problems except i have no speedo/odometer at all. To make matters worse this just happened as my friend wants to purchase so i can upgrade to a touring bike..... So I need it working like it was. Please help!

Old 05-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Trailblocker
Intermediate

The logical fix is to leave the Original speedo in until you download the ECM data to the new speedo through the data link cable.

I did cut & paste from an old post, not sure if you did this? If you did I would try checking for a good ground at the speedo! Good luck

Old 05-19-2014, 02:42 PM
venomv8
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply but needless to say Ive checked all that. All geound connections are tight, i have good grounds in every connector ive tried. And yes I have tried to copy data with the old speedo in and with it out. The bike is going to the dealership. Watch this be some few hundred dollar fix from nothing. I dont know what would of even caused this, it still isnt fixed and with parts Im already $450 deep into the issue and still nothing.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Vthillbilly72
Stage I

Have they found the issue yet? My speedo says the exact same thing " no spd", same deal as you, plugged it in , went " no cal" and then said " no spd" . My old speedo dead shorted inside, and kept blowing the fuse that feeds it. If you replace the fuse it would blow as soon as you turned the key to run. Unplugged the pin that feeds the old speedo because it performs as stated above. Any help would be awesome.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:04 AM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have an aftermarket tuning or EFI device you're using with the bike?

Old 06-15-2014, 07:10 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

It would help if we knew what bike and speedo (part#)...otherwise there's not enough meat to digest here, other than you have a speedo problem.