Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Alarm failure

Old 08-22-2014, 06:03 AM
EMTP435
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm failure

Ok, I have problem that is driving me crazy. I ride a '05 Ultra Classic with the factory alarm (push button fob). About 3 days ago, the fob would not deactivate the alarm and I had to enter the bypass code to get her running. I changed the battery in the fob, and still no luck.

I think I may be partially to blame. When I first got her in 2013, everything was fine. Then a couple of months ago, the siren wouldn't fully 'chirp' when arming/disarming (sounded muted). Then I started having problems disarming it when accidentally (i.e. forgetting) setting it off. I would have to let it run through the cycle, then disarm once it quit. Again, the siren would sound muted.

So, is the TSSM fried or (I hope) the battery in the module needing replacement? I really don't want to pay $300 for a new TSSM. I like the alarm but may just go TSM and do without as funds are low this month.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:56 AM
EMTP435
Novice
Default Update

Well, I think I am truly screwed now. I rode 250 miles to visit my mom and had no problems (still entering the code in by turn signal). But while there, and after running around town, she wouldn't even go into bypass mode. So, there I am, stranded... Had to call the wife and have her come get me with the trailer.

Still need ideas/suggestions. Going to take her to the dealership Tuesday.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Do you have another key fob that you can test?
It would seem that you have possibility of a combination of troubles.
I would check the second fob first.
The siren might just be dying.
No idea of storage conditions but could the electrical system contacts have some corrosion?
How is the motorcycle battery?
The muting of the siren as described could have caused increased resistance in the alarm unit and caused it to die.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:03 PM
EMTP435
Novice

Only have the 1 fob. I think the siren is just worn out. I can tap on it and it gets louder, then back to muffled. Battery on the bike is less than a week old. When running, she puts out 14.4 (per the dash gauge). Battery connections clean and covered with anti-corrosion spray protection. I think the TSSM is toast. Taking her into the dealer tomorrow and selling my first born to have her fixed!

Old 09-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior
Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts
Default 03

Try an 03 Superglide. it does less and is more screwed up. I don't have a owners manual but I have a Dyna shop manual which offers schematics but no operational value.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:01 PM
EMTP435
Novice
Default Back on the road!

Well, the dealership had her almost a week. If I hadn't been offshore, I would have had a serious case of the DTs!!!

Got the call Saturday just before they closed telling me she was ready. They got the key fob working as well. They said all they did was unplug and plug connections and clean them with spray contact cleaner. Once all back together, she was working?!?!?!

Good news is they only charged me 1/2 hour of labor AND she got washed!

I HATE electrical gremlins!!!

Old 09-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got it squared away... That Dealer sounds like a keeper..

Old 09-08-2014, 05:15 PM
EMTP435
Novice

Originally Posted by Rustell
Glad you got it squared away... That Dealer sounds like a keeper..
Yeah, they have been pretty good to me. Just depends on the tech at the time. They went through a lot of turnover, but seems like they have a good crew now.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:48 PM
sawmill
6th Gear
Default 2005 Ultra Classic

Siren quit working,, trying to locate it with no luck,,,
I have 2 keys fobs that work and will set the system but no chirping,,, & I have a remote, lights flash to indicate it is set,,
Just got a new battery and it will not start bike after it sits for 3 days,,
I have search this bike all over for the siren,, all i can find is a device under the set call Delphi (hd p/n 68922-ooc),, this looks nothing like the siren in manuel.
Thanks for any help,
bb

Old 08-21-2016, 12:17 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Arm and disarm 3 times and the chirp should return. There is a silent mode in the later model sirens that is not well documented. I have a later model in my 05 softail deluxe and I had the same thing happen.

Not sure on an ultra classic but on the softail it is located under the seat in front of the mud guard for the rear wheel.

Last edited by Zanthamos; 08-21-2016 at 12:20 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alarm failure