Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

103" engine decel noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Evoker
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 103" engine decel noise

Hi everybody!

I'll be grateful if You could help me finding a cure for a small issue I'm facing..

I have a 2012 FXDWG with a 103" engine, after installing new pipes I began to hear a strange noise coming from the exhaust end (I believe) that sounded like a "tick". Very similar to a valve noise.

The thing is that it appears ONLY on decel, during the moment when the engine decels to around-idle RPMs. Sometimes it's a single "tick", sometimes it's a "tick-tick".

I can hear it over Bub pipes, so it's kinda loud.

Also, I can sometimes hear this "tick" during the moment I shut the engine and it is just about to stop spinning.

The sound appears not everytime the engine decels, and it doesn't matter if the engine is cold or hot.

Sometimes it goes away for a while, then comes back again..

It started last August, and after I changed engine oil after winter last weekend to prepare the ride for the season ahead it's still there.

What I've already tried to get rid of it -

- changed oil

- checked Exhaust gaskets and made a leak test

- checked my intake for leaks

- checked all the bolts on the engine and pipes

Everything seems to be OK, but the noise is still there and is driving me crazy..

I even thought that maybe I did something wrong when I installed rocker boxes and lifter covers just before changing the exhaust, but they all seem to be fine..

The ride has only 3 000 miles on the clock and so I don't think there's something wrong with the lifters, because I don't have this noise during a steady cruise, idle or acceleration..

Don't know what else to try, except to live with it or to try 10W-60 oil (I have 20W-50 now.)

But I'm worried about the engine damage..

I know there are lot's of experienced harley riders/motor builders here on HDF, so maybe You can advice what else to try?

Thanks so very much!