Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Need some help after cam swap

Old 12-22-2015, 07:44 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help after cam swap

Good morning everyone and happy holidays and sorry for the longish post!

I have a 2012 RKC with the following -

High flow air cleaner
V&H Hi ouput exhaust pipes
Stock headers without the cat
Now - Andrews 57H

Yesterday my neighbor and I swapped my stock cams for Andrews 57h. My neighbor had just done his cam swap on exactly the same bike and cams so it went pretty smooth. Verified the timing marks etc... were aligned, all seals etc... were put back in and I used the quickie pushrods and they were adjusted according to S&S specs (24 flats). Also replaced the lifters and put in a set of rockouts.

Before starting for the first time I flashed a tune that my friend used which should have gotten it pretty close. The bike started fine and made a bunch of racket, but quieted down after a couple of minutes.

Now the real problem -

The bike is running very rich - can smell the fuel and is hard to start and sometimes dies when idling. When it runs for a while the idle smooths out and the bike seems to run fine. When shut down I can smell fuel and if I try to start again it will just crank like it is too rich.

Flashed a couple of different tunes and it is running a bit better and even took it out to ride. Runs very strong, but idled at 1500 for a few minutes then comes down to 1000. It never did that before. At 70 - 80 mph when you get on the throttle it lags and stalls a bit before accelerating.

So any thoughts on why this would be happening? Can the tune I used affect the bike this much or am I missing something?

Here is a semi silly question - can the o2 sensors on the header be installed backward or does it matter which one goes in front or rear?

Everything is connected and nothing was left "dangling" and I am not sure that swapping cams should cause the bike to run this rich? Could the pushrods not be adjusted correctly?

Thank you everyone and I am not the most mechanically inclined so please forgive my choice of words to describe what is happening.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-22-2015, 08:51 AM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,423 Likes on 1,687 Posts

The O2 sensors can be connected backwards. Trace yours down and make sure they aren't! Also, you mention you are flashing tunes so I assume you have a PV or TTS? Why are you not auto tuning to fix the issues?

Old 12-22-2015, 09:19 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Thanks and how do I know which sensor goes where?

I am using the auto tune and it helped. Just wanted to rule out all areas that might cause issues. I have the maintenance manual so I guess I will start there.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,423 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Look at the connectors on the wire bundles from the sensors. Black is rear, grey is front.

In other words, the sensor in the rear cyl pipe should have the black connector shell. Front pipe sensor s/b grey.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:54 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Cool flashing !! or Gasing !!!

you are flashing what to what ...sounds like the start up fuel in the map you are sending is too much (rich) ...try the stock map (flash) it back to stock and see !!!

Old 12-22-2015, 06:44 PM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser

Thank you tired for the info. That was the issue! Still running rich but starts and runs great. Just need to continue the auto tune for a few hundred miles.