Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

New fuel pump won't turn on with switch.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:42 PM
SGTDNG
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New fuel pump won't turn on with switch.

I am working on my friends 02 ultra classic. We were riding around 70mph and it was like somebody hit his kill switch, bike just shut off. All the lights were on but we could no longer hear the pump start when we would turn the switch. Checked all the obvious stuff but it's all good. Got it home on trailer and decided the pump was bad so we replaced it and it still would not turn on with the switch. Checked the harness all the way down to computer and all is good. Checked the relay with my meter and all aspects of the relay are good. Checked on/off switch, working properly. What else is there to check? There has to be a sensor that tells the pump the pressure is good and it can shut off, which one is it and how do you test it? What are the specs for that sensor? I'm gonna check the crank sensor tonight but I don't think that's the cause. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!

Old 08-11-2016, 09:59 PM
SGTDNG
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nevermind! Found the issue. Ended up being that my friend said he checked all the fuses and that the relay under the right side cover was good but it wasn't. The relay went bad and in turn popped the ECM fuse. Replaced both and fires right up. Note to self, always recheck others work.