Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Engine Compression

Old 08-16-2016, 10:15 AM
Jeckel
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Compression

I have finally found that the compression on a twin cam should be around 190, is this right? I have been trying to track down a pinging issue and did a compression test. Front cylinder is 175 and rear is 208. What could cause such a high compression in the rear and low in the front? The bike runs well if you ignore the pinging, and we did do the test when the bike was warm if that matters.
2010 FLHX
screamin eagle stage 2 103 kit
big bore cylinders
big bore flat top pistons and rings
SE-255 cams
stage I air cleaner kit with one-piece back plate
heavy duty clutch spring
thunder header 2 - 1 - 2 exhaust

Old 08-16-2016, 11:03 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Assuming heads are stock and OEM head gasket has been used, I would be doing a leak down test on the front cylinder. CCP on both should be near 200psi with your configuration.

You failed to mention fuel management and tuning or how you ride the bike. If the motor hasn't been dyno tuned, that could solve the pining issue. Also, down shifting and keeping rpms up at a reasonable level will help as well. Some consider anything under 2500rpms as lugging; not good for the motor.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Sounds like the cams are off 1 tooth.
30 lbs difference is what we've seen when that type of scenario is brought in for repairs.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
The following users liked this post:
Jeckel (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 12:36 PM
Jeckel
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djl
Assuming heads are stock and OEM head gasket has been used, I would be doing a leak down test on the front cylinder. CCP on both should be near 200psi with your configuration.

You failed to mention fuel management and tuning or how you ride the bike. If the motor hasn't been dyno tuned, that could solve the pining issue. Also, down shifting and keeping rpms up at a reasonable level will help as well. Some consider anything under 2500rpms as lugging; not good for the motor.
sespt is what I'm using. has not been dyno tuned, I don't think that will fix this issue. I have been doing smart tune runs to adjust ve tables and have fattened up the whole fuel table when not in smart tune mode. Pinging happens worse in the higher rpms, but not quite as bad when the temps are in the 60* range.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:24 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeckel
sespt is what I'm using. has not been dyno tuned, I don't think that will fix this issue. I have been doing smart tune runs to adjust ve tables and have fattened up the whole fuel table when not in smart tune mode. Pinging happens worse in the higher rpms, but not quite as bad when the temps are in the 60* range.
First thing you need to do is sort out the compression issue. Leak down the weak front cylinder and, as Scott suggested, check cam timing. If cam timing is one tooth off, all your smart tune runs and VE table adjustments are worthless.