Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

16 RGS Engine/Primary Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:14 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
I wish you the best of luck with your bike but if I have read and understand your story correctly the dealer's findings and corrections don't match some of the symptoms you have described. I would be keeping a very close eye on everything or have someone who may have a better understanding assist you in keeping an eye on everything. I sincerely hope you don't have any more issues but this don't add up in my book

Agree 100%. Hope it all goes smooth.
Maybe there wasn't 2 quarts in the primary to begin with if what came out was measured wrong. Breathers would not contribute to oil transfer to the primary so not sure why that was replaced unless you had over oiling in the rockers and out the AC or real high mileage on them. Keep close eye on it.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:00 PM
Stricnine
Cruiser

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you guys. I appreciate your help and support on this. In short all I know is I drained around 2 quarts of fluid from the primary and had metal on the drain plug, not just little speckles and flakes. If I would have removed the derby cover first, I'd had a mess on my hands (and floor). I am by no means a mechanic, but do like to wrench on my own and have been doing so for a while so this is not my first fluid change. I had never heard of the breathers dumping oil in the primary either. All I have is their word that they checked everything and said it is good. Maybe they are blowing smoke up my rear. I truly hope not. I will definitely keep a close eye on the oil level and try and listen for any unusual sounds and I too hope there's no more issues. They did tell me I had an open warranty claim with MoCo on this and they wanted me to bring it back at 1000 miles to have it checked again.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:39 PM
Stricnine
Cruiser

Sorry guys. I forgot to mention. They said the metal was from the primary gears. I'm trying to be optimistic about all of this, but its tough. Lol

Old 07-21-2017, 05:40 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

you didn't happen to get a pic of what was on the plug?

Old 07-21-2017, 05:56 PM
Stricnine
Cruiser

My friend that was helping took the pic of it. I can get it and try and upload it. The service manager has the actual sliver though.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:46 PM
Stricnine
Cruiser

I got the pic and talked to my friend. He said it was 1/2 inch. I apologize as I said it was maybe 3/4 inch in the first post. Just wanted to correct myself and give you accurate info.

Attached Thumbnails 16 RGS Engine/Primary Issues-output.jpg  
Old 07-21-2017, 09:55 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Stricnine
Ok guys. I feel a little better now. I went down at lunch to pick up my bike. I wasn't told the whole story on the phone call yesterday. I sat down with the mechanic and he explained everything that was done. He checked the entire primary, seals, bearings and everything looked good. He did a compression check and a leak down test with good results. He said the only other thing it could have been was the breathers in the rockers and they replaced them. They told me to ride it 1000 miles and bring it back and to keep a good check on the engine oil.
Moral of the story for me, talk to the guy who did the work and get the full story. Thank you guys for all of the input and assistance. The whinning is still there, but not as loud It has been checked so I feel better about it.

Thanks Again
Your issue is not fixed if in fact you had 2 quarts of oil in your primary...If the shop thinks the ONLY thing causing your engine oil to be low was the breather assys in the rocker boxes and they replaced them, why do they want you to take it back to them in 1000 miles? Where do they say the extra quart of oil in the primary came from?

Old 07-21-2017, 10:43 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Problem with dealers and bikes under warranty is that the service managers really want to avoid putting hours into them if it can be put off in the hopes it "goes away" or the customer "goes elsewhere " because those hours are losses for the service departments bottom line. They have no problem moving you along and seeing if symptoms happen again...and they often do.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:14 AM
Stricnine
Cruiser

I guess I'm going to have to prove the issue to them. From the sounds of it, they are blowing me off. Thank you guys. I really do appreciate the help . There's a lot about these machines (and dealers) I don't know and I am glad you guys do. I guess all I can do right now is monitor the fluids, document it, and then be there when the fluids are drained when I take it back. Does that sounds like the best approach at this point to you all.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:22 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
Problem with dealers and bikes under warranty is that the service managers really want to avoid putting hours into them if it can be put off in the hopes it "goes away" or the customer "goes elsewhere " because those hours are losses for the service departments bottom line. They have no problem moving you along and seeing if symptoms happen again...and they often do.
I've never worked for a bike dealer, several light, medium and heavy truck dealers. The manufactures I have experience with paid very little for diagnostic time. I wouldn't expect Harley to be any different. Not as big of an issue when working hourly but when you're being paid flat rate there is not a lot of incentive for the tech to dig deep and find the source of the problem. The only way to make money is to find something to get paid for and move on to the next job. I never did very well working flat rate, I always wanted to find out what was going on and do the right thing for the customer. That doesn't help the shop income either.

Quick Reply: 16 RGS Engine/Primary Issues