Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

A new racket

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:04 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default car lifter

no sure the car lifter is the best thing to put in a bike, dimensions may be very similar, not sure port sizes externally and internally match . I put s&s in mine 130 bucks for 4 I had Harley b lifters to start with did cams and was pretty noisey. then a roller started to pit, then u could only buy c lifter from Harley piece sh t didn't pump up too well bleed down fast and tick like u wouldn't believe . tried both at .130 or 3 full turns. the s&s is the quietest lifter Iv ever heard. here is a s&s video on using car lifters in a bike not sure if its totally true but here it is. for 130 best lifter ive had out of 3 diff sets. inlet hole on the c series is about half the size of the s&s lifter not sure what internal diff is . oil pressure in car motor is probably 40-50 psi Harley if pump and wearing parts in good shape is about 32 at idle probably 12-15psi.. manual for pressure test on hot motor says about 30 psi at 2000 rpm.

Last edited by 2009blackpearle; 08-28-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:15 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,016 Likes on 2,005 Posts

Originally Posted by 2009blackpearle
no sure the car lifter is the best thing to put in a bike, dimensions may be very similar, not sure port sizes externally and internally match . I put s&s in mine 130 bucks for 4 I had Harley b lifters to start with did cams and was pretty noisey. then a roller started to pit, then u could only buy c lifter from Harley piece sh t didn't pump up too well bleed down fast and tick like u wouldn't believe . tried both at .130 or 3 full turns. the s&s is the quietest lifter Iv ever heard. here is a s&s video on using car lifters in a bike not sure if its totally true but here it is. for 130 best lifter ive had out of 3 diff sets. inlet hole on the c series is about half the size of the s&s lifter not sure what internal diff is . oil pressure in car motor is probably 40-50 psi Harley if pump and wearing parts in good shape is about 32 at idle probably 12-15psi.. manual for pressure test on hot motor says about 30 psi at 2000 rpm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMoRaHJRrhc
I have a brand new set of s and s in there...I just brought two of cheap chevy ones to swap out with them to make sure it wasn't a bad lifter...so I just rotated them from front to back and then took them back out, i had no intention of leaving them in there.I've seen that video too...not sure if they're just trying to sell parts or not but 130 bucks is cheap insurance to make sure my motor doesn't meltdown lol. Just got home from work and pulled the front rocker cover off and ran the bike...good news is there's plenty of oil making it up top on the front cylinder ...bad news is still don't have an answer, time to pull the rear I guess? I know these motors make noise,especially the 110 but this is a new noise so that's got me freaking out.Maybe this bike just doesn't like redline, started this soon after I switched from mobil 1...I might dump it and try some Dino oil. Or maybe I'll follow the wife's advice and "shut up and ride it and if it breaks then you'll know what's wrong" just hope she remembers that when it comes time to finance the motor rebuild.