Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

S&S 124" bagger build

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 10:39 PM
L88
Road Captain
Received 297 Likes on 157 Posts

So a question for those that did the 124" build or engine replacement. What other upgrades did you do to handle the increase in power such as clutch?

Last edited by L88; 04-28-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:41 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Bandit Sportsman clutch. Stock basket. Diamond chain. Baker compensator and adjuster. So far, so good!

The following users liked this post:
L88 (05-01-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 09:43 AM
Blackstreak
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by L88
So a question for those that did the 124" build or engine replacement. What other upgrades did you do to handle the increase in power such as clutch?
Barnett Scorpion with a lockup pressure plate, Barnett billet basket, kept my SE compensator and stock tensioner. Staggered the gold/green springs on the clutch. Clutch pull feels similar to the SE heavy diaphragm spring that I had in there before.

L88 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 04:45 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Blackstreak
Barnett Scorpion with a lockup pressure plate, Barnett billet basket, kept my SE compensator and stock tensioner. Staggered the gold/green springs on the clutch. Clutch pull feels similar to the SE heavy diaphragm spring that I had in there before.
Smart, gotta have the full upgrade in there, with the billet basket. No shortcuts-Way too much risk of big time damage to a guys entire primary and possibly engine, cause they went with a stock basket running double the HP of a stock set up. There is also the very good possibility that when it blows, it will lock up the rear wheel, so pray your not at freeway speed if it does.
Just saw a guy I know go thru an exploded basket issue, despite me telling him several times to replace that basket. Had to redo his entire primary set up$.
Pay now a little, or pay later a lot$$$, and do it all right, or don't do it at all.

L88 (05-01-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 07:14 AM
Vision
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

So true about doing it right from the start and it seems like you did! My buddy had a Barnett Scorpion installed and I told him to be sure to change his Basket. For some reason he chose not too. A month later his basket was obliterated. He was lucky that he only caused damage to his outer primary cover.

Happy to see your Bike done and on the road! Enjoy it man and be safe. That 124 is a blast to ride!

Old 05-14-2018, 10:13 PM
Blackstreak
Cruiser

Got 1500 miles on the 124" and looking forward to a fine tune as soon as they can get it in. Runs very smooth on the highway.

The following 2 users liked this post by Blackstreak:
Fat11Lo (05-16-2018), soft 02 (05-15-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 06:43 AM
Blackstreak
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Vision
So true about doing it right from the start and it seems like you did! My buddy had a Barnett Scorpion installed and I told him to be sure to change his Basket. For some reason he chose not too. A month later his basket was obliterated. He was lucky that he only caused damage to his outer primary cover.

Happy to see your Bike done and on the road! Enjoy it man and be safe. That 124 is a blast to ride!
June 15th is the date for the final tune. After many rides I will say that PWmorris is correct. There's no way it's even going to be close to 140. It pulls hard but not that hard. The truth will come to surface on June 15th. Probably not even 130 but runs very smooth with usable power. Power comes right on from the getgo. No downshifting for anything. Can't even get the engine hot. Just cool running all day bagger power. I'm happy.

PWMORRIS (01-20-2020)
Old 05-21-2018, 07:34 PM
Vision
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Like you both said, if it feels good to you, that’s all that matters in the end... I smile every time I get on my bike and honestly could care less of the numbers. Pulls like a freight train and feels like worlds apart from my stock engine. Downshifting for passing power is truly a thing of the past. Ride in safety and good health!

Old 05-21-2018, 10:42 PM
Blackstreak
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Vision
Like you both said, if it feels good to you, that’s all that matters in the end... I smile every time I get on my bike and honestly could care less of the numbers. Pulls like a freight train and feels like worlds apart from my stock engine. Downshifting for passing power is truly a thing of the past. Ride in safety and good health!
I do believe it has a very conservative break in tune right now so it's hard to say for sure but it pulls very hard with no lag at all which is what I was after. We'll see what happens when they wake it up but I'm already very happy with where the power is at. Very useful power band.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Blackstreak
Cruiser

Ok the bike goes in for a final tune on Friday June 15th but here's the report so far. Power comes on very early flattening any hill, getting 36-37 mpg @ 75 mph, hottest oil temperature so far has been 208 degrees Fahrenheit at 100 degrees running 2 ten row oil coolers. Very satisfied. Can't wait to see how it runs after the final tune!

Quick Reply: S&S 124" bagger build