Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Top end

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 06:02 PM
Cameron Jones
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top end

How do I disassemble a 09 HD sporster 1200xl motor to where I can get in and check the piston cylinder was using a n Alan wrench to prop the intake butter fly valve open to spray carb cleaner and injector fluid in the air intake and it sucked in the wrench. And need to assess the damage/situation. Video is are the best for me but will take any help given.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:18 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,360 Likes on 6,844 Posts

Pull the spark plugs and look in the holes with a flashlight. I doubt the allen wrench made it that far, it is probably stuck in the intake valve area. Was the bike running? Did it make any noise, did it stop running? If it was me I would remove the carb and the intake and look in the cylinder head intake area. If you do not have a manual, then You should take it to a professional who knows what they are doing. If it got stuck in the intake valve you will have some damage. Keep us informed and provide some pictures so others will not attempt to do what you did.

Why were you spraying carb cleaner and injector fluid into the intake? Good Luck!

Old 02-02-2019, 09:17 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Get a cheap cell phone endoscope
https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Semi-Rigid-Inspection-Megapixels-Waterproof/dp/B06WRNGYXY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1549163651&sr=8-7&keywords=endoscope https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Semi-Rigid-Inspection-Megapixels-Waterproof/dp/B06WRNGYXY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1549163651&sr=8-7&keywords=endoscope
take the plugs out & look in the cylinders, snake it through the intake, etc.

Bet it didn't go far

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 02-03-2019, 02:19 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 624 Posts

yep, borescope is cheap and even hf sells them
fly-by-wire? if not, hd used to have a thumbscrew on the throttle to act as a friction control or coon-*** cruise control

Old 02-03-2019, 02:32 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,529 Likes on 3,782 Posts

Get yourself a piece of #10 solid wire. Strip off insulation. Get a piece of pencil magnet and break off a section about 3/4".

Bend a 90 degree on end of wire and tape the magnet to wire with 90 catching magnet . Fish intake. Fish spark plug hole.

Just a thought...

Old 02-04-2019, 11:11 PM
Cameron Jones
Novice
Default Update

Got a buddy coming tomorrow with a scope to check out the cylinders I believe I seen it in the rear cylinder I guess the next step is to make sure and tear down the jug to get it out and check the damage. What could I be looking at? (As far as damages go? I'll see what i can do to get pics of the cylinder and how everything happened. (Was just me no thinking and having **** luck that day.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:46 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

There's a chance the wrench is sitting on top of the valve or somewhere in the intake manifold because it was too long to make the appropriate bends to get all the way into the cylinder. Have you tried using a flash light to look into the manifold? Or a magnet on a stick to pull out the wrench?

You don't need to prop open the butterfly either, just crank the throttle grip and set the throttle friction screw up in the right handlebar switch housing.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:12 PM
Cameron Jones
Novice

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
There's a chance the wrench is sitting on top of the valve or somewhere in the intake manifold because it was too long to make the appropriate bends to get all the way into the cylinder. Have you tried using a flash light to look into the manifold? Or a magnet on a stick to pull out the wrench?

You don't need to prop open the butterfly either, just crank the throttle grip and set the throttle friction screw up in the right handlebar switch housing.

my buddy came today with his endoscope(has a light on it.) From what we seen it's in the cylinder couldn't tell if it was lodged in there we didnt have a strong enough magnet to pull it out. Will probably pull the jug off sat night or Sunday some time.just depends on what work looks like. I'll keep you guys posted

p.s. didnt know about the friction screw till my buddy showed me today to feed the endoscope through the air intake. Definitely take that rought. Don't be a dumb *** and prop it open with a tool lol found that out the hard way.

The following users liked this post:
Mattbastard (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 07:02 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

If you're lucky you didn't roll the engine over with that thing stuck in the cylinder. Them post 04 heads have a large squish shelf.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Cameron Jones
Novice

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
If you're lucky you didn't roll the engine over with that thing stuck in the cylinder. Them post 04 heads have a large squish shelf.

I rolled it down that way I had room to see in it.

Quick Reply: Top end