Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Loud rear cylinder tick on 2014 street bob

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 05:59 PM
Matt 337
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Loud rear cylinder tick on 2014 street bob

I was hoping someone could help me diagnose a loud tick I'm getting on the rear cylinder of my 2014 street bob. The bike appears to run great besides the tick. There is no tick when bike is off and then started. I've been able to produce the ticking by riding the bike in second gear at 3500 or so rpms. Using a stethoscope I can hear the tick on the rear cylinder above and to the right of the spark plug on the cylinder head. Its heard at idle clutch lever pulled in or bike in neutral and can be heard in lower gears before exhaust drowns it out. The ticking will also randomly stop at times as well.

about 400 miles ago I added an andrews 57H cam, s&s tappets, s&s quickie pushrods and v&h big radius pipes. I did about 250-300 miles on the setup before the ticking started. I have the v&h fp3 tuner and it gives a code of both cylinders being rich and to run auto tune as a fix.

Push rods where initially installed with 24 flats, I adjusted them to 27 flats which lessened the valve train noise but the ticking remains the same. Where do I go from here?

Thanks -Matt

Old 05-19-2019, 08:27 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Sounds like classic rocker shaft tapping. Have a look around my website, thousand cured all over the world

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 05-19-2019, 09:42 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 408 Likes on 313 Posts

verify you don't have an exhaust leak on the rear cylinder

Old 05-20-2019, 07:06 PM
Matt 337
Novice

Originally Posted by memphisharley
verify you don't have an exhaust leak on the rear cylinder
Pretty sure I don't have an exhaust leak, tonight I made a makeshift smoker with the use of incenses and couldn't get any smoke at the head connection. I also moved an incense and then a grill lighter around the head connection and didnt get anything.

However, I did get a small turn, less than 1/8 of a turn on each exhaust nut last night, but I haven't rode the bike since.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:12 PM
misbell
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

push rod may be out of adjustment or lifter may be weak

Old 05-20-2019, 08:51 PM
Matt 337
Novice

Originally Posted by misbell
push rod may be out of adjustment or lifter may be weak
I feel confident on the pushrod adjustment. The lifters are new, but I guess they could be bad. I still have the stock pushrods, should I switch out all four or just the rears? If the lifter was bad wouldn't it make noise all the time?

Also the bike feels strong and I can't feel any loss of power.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:49 AM
Matt 337
Novice

Originally Posted by Matt 337
I feel confident on the pushrod adjustment. The lifters are new, but I guess they could be bad. I still have the stock pushrods, should I switch out all four or just the rears? If the lifter was bad wouldn't it make noise all the time?

Also the bike feels strong and I can't feel any loss of power.
Correction: I ment to say I have the stock lifters still.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:36 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,162 Likes on 6,205 Posts

See post #2.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:57 PM
Matt 337
Novice

Originally Posted by martinj
See post #2.
I just ordered the rockouts and will put them in if I end up going into the head.

Tonight I'm going to put in my stock lifters and I should be able to take it for a ride tomorrow and see if anything changes.

The following 2 users liked this post by Matt 337:
martinj (05-21-2019), ROCKOUT Rocker Products (05-21-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 08:43 PM
Matt 337
Novice

So I got the stock lifters in and went for a ride and still have the noise, its not as loud but its there. I wasn't as hard on the bike so that could be the difference. Also I think I hear some noise in the primary... Compensator maybe?

The rockouts should be here saturday, so I guess I should put them in, anything else I should look for when I'm in there? Also should probably open up the primary and see what's going on in there.

One more thing, after I got the lifters and pushrods in I turned the motor over a few times using the rear wheel. While doing so I can here the cam chains moving and making a clicking kinda noise. Is this normal? I know it has done this the last couple times I messed with the pushrods but didn't think anything of it.

Quick Reply: Loud rear cylinder tick on 2014 street bob