Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Engine sumping

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 11:27 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,280 Likes on 3,641 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytq
Took it out for a little ride today and checked it again when I got back, same thing about 11oz.
Yes engine is all S&S, there are 2 plugs, looks to me like I want the one on left, the right one looks like maybe for cam chest.
The oil pump is stock, I think part number 31-6503, looks like its integrated into the cam plate? Never been apart so only guessing because they gave me an instruction pamphlet for installation. Says S&S oil pump for T-series engines and twin cam 88 engines.

The one the the right is for sump passage to the oil pump. It's the one that most guys use on stock TC cases. They drain less than the oil pickup on the SnS cases. On SnS they drain about the same as the pickup is lower on SnS cases. I wouldn't mess with it.

You have the gear driven cam plate oil pump.. That should be pretty robust as far as sumping goes. Sump oil pump O ring could possibly be damaged tho. With that pump, a sumped motor would recover quickly at idle.

A 124 will have more compression braking than a mild built smaller motor for sure.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:35 AM
harleytq
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I called S&S to see what they said about the amount of oil and he said that was over what they should be, he was saying from 3 to 6oz
He said if I were to try to fix it that the warranty would be void, so I need to find a dealer to take it too. anyone know a good shop in MN

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:55 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah, I could be wrong. My experience is with an early set of case and Fueling pump.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:35 PM
harleytq
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
The one the the right is for sump passage to the oil pump. It's the one that most guys use on stock TC cases. They drain less than the oil pickup on the SnS cases. On SnS they drain about the same as the pickup is lower on SnS cases. I wouldn't mess with it
Not sure I understand what you are saying here? Don't use the Right plug? or the right plug would be what a stock engine drains? and the left plug would probably drain more?

Old 06-25-2019, 12:50 PM
harleytq
Cruiser

Ok so I called S&S back to make sure I was draining the right drain plug and now this guy said for the S&S twin cam engine, it is normal to drain 8-10oz of oil from the crankcase. So I guess just flip a coin on it? lol.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:26 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Ok so I called S&S back to make sure I was draining the right drain plug and now this guy said for the S&S twin cam engine, it is normal to drain 8-10oz of oil from the crankcase. So I guess just flip a coin on it? lol.
If the motor is not running hot and the dyno numbers are where they should be, leave it alone.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:21 PM
harleytq
Cruiser

yeah that was my conclusion too, so there is some other reason I am getting the massive engine braking. Have to go back to tune I think.
thanks for the help

Old 06-25-2019, 04:39 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Not sure I understand what you are saying here? Don't use the Right plug? or the right plug would be what a stock engine drains? and the left plug would probably drain more?

The drain plug that should be removed to measure is this one on the left side of the motor sitting on the bike.. The other is the sump scavenge passage. It is what guys use on stock HD TC cases to check sumping because they don't have a center case drain like SnS. On Stock TC Cases you will get a different amount than SnS cases. This was taken with a mirror so it's flipped vertically in the picture.. Use case bolt side case as a reference. It's the left side of the motor. The left side plug will have an O ring and magnet in it. The right side one is a pipe plug.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:55 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

yeah that was my conclusion too, so there is some other reason I am getting the massive engine braking. Have to go back to tune I think.
thanks for the help
If the only motor you were used to was the stock 88ci TC motor, the 124 is going to have way more compression braking.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:11 PM
harleytq
Cruiser

Well my last engine was a 95" with around 90hp
I might just try a different calibration and see what it does, just copy everything from my tune to the new cal.