EVO All Evo Model Discussion

The Evolving EVO (Brakes)

Old 12-19-2016, 03:10 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts
Default The Evolving EVO (Brakes)

For the last forty years I have had some method in my madness when it came to my bikes. Ergonomics usually has come first, followed by some giddyup tempered with appropriate whoa.
The process works like this:
1) Education
2) Gathering funds
3) Gathering parts
4) More education
5) Knuckle-busting until completion

This winter I'm doing my second upgrade for the front brakes along with a rebuild of the front end. Previously I had upgraded to the 2000 up calipers with adapters for my EVO sliders. Having knowledge of Brembo from my BMW airheads, I learned what I could about a Brembo conversion. I bought a powder coated nine spoke (wagon wheel) with the one inch bearings, 11.8" CVO floating rotors, Brembo calipers, Lyndall Gold pads, one inch axle, and powder coated sliders. A bitsa here, a bitsa there.
So, #s 1,2, and 3 are done.
My current focus is my speedo drive. I read what I could find but haven't wrapped my mind around a solution. Relocating to the rear of the Touring bikes hasn't worked for those who tried it. I need to bring the 1" axle up to the house. (Currently assembling in the living room) One option is to use 3/4" ID sealed bearings and my old 3/4" axle. Another option involves machining the speedo drive and or the axle. Then there is the issue of spacers.
I know that some of you EVO people have done this, (Bumpandrun, Johnjzjz, others) and would like to take advantage of the collected knowledge here.
Merry Christmas one and all.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:19 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I'm planning to use the front wheel for my speedo drive. I seem to recall that Schex has done it on his bike. I had a link to a thread on HDF, but can't find it at present. It involves notching one rotor, to take the driving tit on the drive unit and machining down part of the axle to the smaller diameter of the old axle, to accept the drive unit. I haven't got around to actually doing mine yet.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:01 PM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I upgraded my 97 FLHTCUI to 2000 and up Calipers using 2007 sliders. I took the 1" axle to a machinist and had him turn down the inside part of it to 3/4". I chose to keep my wheel but what I did will work for you to. You will just have to notch a rotor and use 3/4" bearings as already stated and of coase figure out the proper spacers to use.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:39 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,813 Likes on 1,759 Posts

I went a different route, but if I would do it again, like Rockhouse said, I would get the 1" axle turned down to 3/4", use 3/4" bearings(oem 9267) and inside spacer.

When installing bearings, bottom the left bearing in it's bore and set the other side to just touch inner spacer.

File a notch in the rotor for the speedo, make it wide enough, extra 1/16th", to give room for the tab to float.

Install wheel without spacers, install axle nut and washer but don't bottom it out, center rotor in left caliper and measure left spacer width, machine speedo drive or add shim, whatever it takes for tab engagement into the rotor, and wheel spacer width.

Reinstall wheel with speedo drive and figure right spacer width.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:08 AM
johnod
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 12-21-2016, 11:16 AM
johnod
Road Master

So will the 9267 bearings work with the OEM 3/4 axle, and the 200 and later wheels?

Old 12-21-2016, 11:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by johnod
Well done John and thanks - that's the thread I had in mind. Unfortunately the pics don't enlarge for me, can anyone see them enlarged?

Old 12-21-2016, 11:37 AM
johnod
Road Master

Graham, same here. Right click, and open works.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:01 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by johnod
Graham, same here. Right click, and open works.
Doh! Thanks - can see 'em now.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:53 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just let me know if you guys need more pics.. I've accepted the JB Weld as the fix for now. I've run 30k or so on it and its one of the best mod's I've made.. If I have to chip the epoxy off every time I change the tire, it adds about a beer to the job... I'm fine with that.. It was the simplest solution I was able to find..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Evolving EVO (Brakes)