EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Shocks....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 03:15 PM
BrainPain
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks....

Question guys, on the bike I recently acquired I was looking at similar bikes and noticed the shocks seem almost straight up and down on mine and other bikes seem to have the shocks leaning far forward at the top. Correction needed or the norm ???????

Is this shock located correctly ???

Old 07-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,733 Likes on 1,357 Posts

What bike is it? What frame? I mean, is it mounted correctly? Well, does it work? There's a lot of stuff that don't look stock.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,745 Likes on 929 Posts

Depends on the frame and the type of bike. YD

Old 07-18-2017, 03:54 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I'd be more concerned with the cracks in the tire sidewall.,,,

Old 07-18-2017, 06:18 PM
BrainPain
Cruiser

History...l got the bike about 6 weeks ago, doesn't run. Last owner thought it was the starter switch and tore the housing and the switches all up. I replaced all that but that was not the problem, l jumped the starter directly to a battery and it's either a short in the wiring the keyswitch or maybe the starter even I don't know yet anyway.if The bike sat for at least four years . The frame was purchased as an aftermarket FXR no stretch and stock 30 degree rake. Crank case is aftermarket also and was purchased in late 2010 and the was finished in early 2011. Yes the tires are bad they were new Avons in 2011 but now need to be replaced, that is just one among many things that need to be done on the other hand the engine and frame do only have 600 original miles on them since it was built so it's worth the trouble, especially since the bike was given to me as a gift.

Last edited by BrainPain; 07-18-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:30 PM
BrainPain
Cruiser

Aftermarket 2010 FXR frame, aftermarket crank case, fat bob tanks, mustang seats, wide glide trees, forks etc etc. My guess it was built to 1984 design. Tires were new Avons in 2010 when parts were purchased and assembled.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:09 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,745 Likes on 929 Posts

With some work, I see a diamond in the rough and I like the overall look of the bike. You really cant complain of the price! I hope you can get the electrical worked out so you can at least fire it up.

I imagine the tank and carb are going to need some attention if it sat that long.

You could also "minimize" the electrics till you get it running, then figure out one at a time what switches, connection, and components are giving you the trouble.

Google some basic motorcycle wiring diagrams, that should help you some.

Once you get it running, it will take some clean up but will look nice when done. Keep plugging at it and keep us up to date with your progress. YD

Old 07-18-2017, 07:14 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, do get it running. Looks like good bones. I'm close enough if you want to make a quick couple hundred in the future :-)

Old 07-18-2017, 07:35 PM
BrainPain
Cruiser

Yea it a project, but she's a big twin, won't take that much to get her going I hope. I've got 25 bucks in the control switches and a little time so far, not complaining. Battery is next thing and maybe a starter/sylonoid then a carb kit, it's a s&s carb. I do have the tanks off, wired the switches to old harness temporarily but nothing there so will go through the whole harness. I have the batt box out so I can get to the junction box and relays, that's where I had to stop for now.

Last edited by BrainPain; 07-18-2017 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Add
Old 07-18-2017, 07:56 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,933 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by BrainPain
The frame was purchased as an aftermarket FXR no stretch and stock 30 degree rake.
I don't know what you've got there, but that frame doesn't resemble any FXR frame I've ever seen before...aftermarket or otherwise. Another note...FXRs don't have wide glide front ends (never did).

Other than that...well...the bike has potential. She's not going to win any beauty contests as is, but if you're smart with your money and modifications, your bike could be a real sleeper. Good luck with your project.

Quick Reply: Shocks....