EVO All Evo Model Discussion

speedometer help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Abandoned
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default speedometer help

I'm in the process of rebuilding a real Frankenstein of a bike. I know that the tanks, dash, and speedo came off of a 98 Fatboy but the previous owner swapped out the electronic speedo with a manual cabled one; with the cable connecting down to the front axle.

I would like to change it back to an electronic speedometer, but I'm also trying to keep costs down. According to the parts list, the original one was a 67027-96. I found an inexpensive aftermarket solution but it states it's for 99 and up crossing to HD part number 67027-99. Does anyone know if these are the same parts and maybe just a difference in the connectors or cabling? Since the bike has already been redone everything is hardwired anyway, so if all i had to do was cut off some connectors and wire this in, that won't be an issue. Just want to find out if there is any other differences between the 2?

Old 03-04-2018, 05:43 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 793 Likes on 604 Posts

In 1998 and a few years before, electronic speedometers had about a dozen wires coming out the back.
It was not a plug and play speedometer.
The update speedometer requires a wire harness plug addition that is crimped onto cut wires to then plug into a 99 unit.
The 99 unit has a plug in the back.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Abandoned
Road Captain

Originally Posted by im
In 1998 and a few years before, electronic speedometers had about a dozen wires coming out the back.
It was not a plug and play speedometer.
The update speedometer requires a wire harness plug addition that is crimped onto cut wires to then plug into a 99 unit.
The 99 unit has a plug in the back.
Well that foils my plans. But at least gives me the info I needed. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

If they both have the same main number that looks suspicious! But you could well be right that they are similar. Harley change the style of plugs they use every now and then and it may be that is the difference between those two. It's worth digging deeper.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:39 AM
Abandoned
Road Captain

There is not much I can find about the backs of the speedometers and their hookups. But it looks like the previous statement is correct and the difference between them is just that the -96 one is hardwired and the -99 had a plug on the back to connect to the harness. So in my situation I would need to buy the speedometer and the harness. Unfortunately the harness would then have to be cut up and hardwired to the rest of the wiring I have. Seems like a lot of extra just to satisfy my purpose of cleaning up the front end of the mechanical cable.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:26 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,331 Likes on 5,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Abandoned
I'm in the process of rebuilding a real Frankenstein of a bike.

Does your trans have a place for the speed sensor?

Old 03-05-2018, 08:57 AM
ZachE
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I went through this a few years ago on my 94 Road king... Converted it up to plug and play. Basically so long as the bike is new enough to have a 12 pin connector under the left side, you can do it.

Here is the thread of how I did it: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...-and-play.html

I had to add an inline speedo-corrector as I've got a 70 tooth rear pulley and most of the plug and play twin cam era stuff has 65 tooth rear pulleys.

The following users liked this post:
grbrown (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 09:09 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,876 Likes on 3,343 Posts

As Tom said. Do you have a spot to mount the speed sensor in the trans? Also a 98 Fatboy only had three wires going into the back of it. W/g, black and orange/w. There should be a 3 pin deutch connector between the tanks...

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 03-05-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:15 AM
Abandoned
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Does your trans have a place for the speed sensor?
yes, the previous owner just covered it up. But there is spot for it.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:22 AM
Abandoned
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
As Tim said. Do you have a spot to mount the speed sensor in the trans? Also a 98 Fatboy only had three wires going into the back of it. W/g, black and orange/w. There should be a 3 pin deutch connector between the tanks...
All the wiring was redone previously. There is not much left of the original wires. Also all the connectors have been removed. I attached a pic, the wirings in pretty terrible shape.

Quick Reply: speedometer help