EVO All Evo Model Discussion

FLH Battery Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 09:00 PM
fshaw
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default FLH Battery Relocation

I’ve read the threads and made my battery box to move my1990 FLHS battery under the seat. I was at my local indie shop and was discussing this with the owner who’s knowledge I respect, a lot. The maximum width I can get with my battery box and side oil tank is 6” which puts me into a Sportster battery if I stay with a conventional battery. The shop owner said he was convinced I’d go through starter drives due to the lower amp hour battery. Anyone who has done this conversion had starter drive problems post conversion? Of those who have done the conversion, anyone using a 6” wide battery with total satisfaction?

Thanks.

Frank

Last edited by fshaw; 04-14-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:21 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,338 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by fshaw
I’ve read the threads and made my battery box to move my1990 FLHS battery under the seat. I was at my local indie shop and was discussing this with the owner who’s knowledge I respect, a lot. The maximum width I can get with my battery box and side oil tank is 6” which puts me into a Sportster battery if I stay with a conventional battery. The shop owner said he was convinced I’d go through starter drives due to the lower amp hour battery. Anyone who has done this conversion had starter drive problems post conversion? Of those who have done the conversion, anyone using a 6” wide battery with total satisfaction?

Thanks.

Frank
You need to talk to Omaha.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:50 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
You need to talk to Omaha.
Pretty sure Mr Brown did this mod as well. I started it on my '90 Electraglide, but ended up selling the bike. I wouldn't think it's be an issue with todays battery technology.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:03 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,669 Likes on 1,661 Posts

When I did mine, I made the decision to go with one of the new lithium batteries.

Part of the motivation for that was that I did some engine work at the same time, and bumped the compression a bit. I was worried that a conventional battery small enough to fit just wouldn't get it done.

That's about all I can say about that. The lithium battery has worked fine for a season. Don't know if I could say the same about a conventional battery or not.

As to the stuff about starter drives, I'm having trouble visualizing how that's an issue. But I'm not much for thinking through electrical stuff. What's the theory here?

I'm really pleased with how that project turned out. Mostly because the one-touch bags I installed are so much nicer than the stockers.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:48 AM
fshaw
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Omaha, Do you have the make and model of the battery that you bought? Gbrown, same question for you.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:03 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,669 Likes on 1,661 Posts
Old 04-15-2020, 08:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Red face

Omaha, Do you have the make and model of the battery that you bought? Gbrown, same question for you.
In my case a Shorai, 405CCA. These modern lithium batteries are as light as love, so take care when picking it up, for fear of throwing it over your shoulder!

Old 04-15-2020, 09:06 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,338 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Thanks.

Frank
Not sure I'd agree with that as you aren't on the starter for that long.
I would be concerned about the battery heating up from all the extra load put on it from the many extra electrical components your bagger has on it compared to a sportster.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Not sure I'd agree with that as you aren't on the starter for that long.
I would be concerned about the battery heating up from all the extra load put on it from the many extra electrical components your bagger has on it compared to a sportster.
Original spec 1990 Glide battery is 20/22Ah. Current replacement 1990 Sporty spec, AGM type, 20Ah, if brand is chosen wisely. No probs! Lithium ones are much beefier still.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:26 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,733 Likes on 1,128 Posts

A 260 amp battery was original equipment from the factory, so that's what it needs at minimum. Low starting amperage won't necessarily hurt the starter gear, but low cranking amps is murder on the field coils in the actual starter motor.

The lithium 0maha mentioned is about 450 CCA. So if you don't want to do the big bucks for a battery, stay above 260 CCA and you should be good.

Quick Reply: FLH Battery Relocation