EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ignition module is missing

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Clifton63
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition module is missing

Sorry for all the questions, but as I keep tearing into this basket case of a bike (94 FXDWG) I keep finding strange stuff. The ignition module is missing and the cam sensor is wired directly to the coil. so when you turn the key switch to "ignition", the coil is hot. Also, the vacuum switch (under the tank) has been disconnected. Is this a common "mod" in the harley evo world? Should I return it to stock? It looks like an aftermarket cam sensor (only 2 wires coming out) and an aftermarket coil which has 2 connection points (one at top and one at bottom). The top connection has one "hot" wire and one cam sensor wire. The bottom connection has the other cam sensor wire. Any ideas?

Old 11-17-2007, 10:21 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Ignition module is missing

sounds like you have an after market ing. system and my not be able to use the voes switch. id find out what kind it is and read the instructions plus see what kind of problems that type of unit has. worse case, you can always find the stock components on ebay. i picked up an extra coil, pickup and module on there for very little. has for the voes, my local harley shop gave me one for free. he said i really didn't need it but it was there and replacing it sure didn't hurt anything.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:32 AM
RICHE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the bike has been rigged.I would attempt to make it stock,can you read wiring diagrams?I hate trying to figure out wiring someone else has messed with,Get the stock wiring diagrams take your time and try and patch it up.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:27 AM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you're having way too much fun with that bike....good luck and keep up the good work.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Clifton63
Advanced

The "cam sensor" (really called a "sensor plate", where the points usually go) is an aftermarket "Dyna S" unit (hasmechanical advance unitbuilt in), which is wired directly to the coil. The previous owner obviously removed the electronic ignition. I have found several aftermarket performance control modules on ebay (Dyna 2000, Screamin Eagle) that I will put on the bike. I have a manual with wiring diagrams and have already figured out the entire bikes wiring system.Any disadvantages of running without electronics?

Here is what is on the bike and it is not clear (perwebsite installation instructions)but it looks like this kit is designed to bypass the factory electronic module:

http://www.dynaonline.com/english/harley_dynas.htm

Old 11-18-2007, 12:17 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

running without electronics, i guess you mean running points instead of electronic ignition. id say no. i know a couple of people that took off the after market electronic ignition systems and put points. of course there always messing with them. id stay with electric ignition.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:48 PM
jbhoyle
Cruiser

I have been running the Dyna S for several years. It has it's place but is not the best choice for ignition. If it has 2 pickups and a rotor it is a single fire, 1 pickup and rotor its a duel fire. You can't hook up the VOES, which causes spark knock problem if you set the timing right and then pull under heavy load. Your best bet is to change it over to the Crane HI4 or the Dynatech. These you can set the advance curves the way that suits you riding style.(With or without the VOES). Look at Cranes web site and read about it. Dynatech's is almost identicle.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Clifton63
Advanced

Can you use the Dynatech 2000 controllerwith the Dyna S pickup, or do I have to switch the pickup back to factory?

I have the Dual firesetup, with a Dyna 5ohm coil.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:08 PM
jbhoyle
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Clifton63

Can you use the Dynatech 2000 controllerwith the Dyna S pickup, or do I have to switch the pickup back to factory?

I have the Dual firesetup, with a Dyna 5ohm coil.
No. The Dyna S is self contained. The timing is controlled by a mechanical weight system located behind the pick up assembly(old school stuff).There is nothing for the controller to do. If I not mistaken, the Dyna S uses a 3ohm coil. A 5ohm will burn it out prematurally. If you change over to the stock pickup, then you could use something like the dyna 2000, But as said before, I would recommend going to the Crane HI4. With it you can hook up your VOES and let it retard the timing under load or Don't hook it up and choose on of the preprogrammed timing maps that works for you.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Kramer Krazy
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can also be a Compufire ignition system. I've had one in my bike since '96 without any problems (60k+ miles)...