Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need paint help

He does have skills. Nice work Paco!!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:59 PM
1984FXRrider
Stage III

Nason paint works well as does the Nason brand clear coat # 497-00. Nason makes a acrylic urethane single stage (no clear coat required). The new urethanes are very durable and have great shine and holdout.Wet sand with 400-600first ,following mfg. instructions, usually 3-4 coats will achieve coverage and shine.As stated in earlier posts , allow each coat to flash 15 min between coats . Any trash nibs left behind can be wet sanded with 1500 and buffed . we always wet sand entire panel and buff to achieve a smoot flaw free finish. Any swirls from buffing can be machine waxed with a 3-m black polishing pad,and swirl free polish .Use a HAND GLAZE NOT HAND WAX, for your final touches.Good luck C.J.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:40 PM
gottahavvitt
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: paco

gottahavvitt,

I painted my bike with Nason single stage urethane. All i did was wet sand the oem paint till it was smooth with 400 grit. Shot it with several coats of black. Being the beginner I am if i messed up, I let it dry over night and sanded with 400 grit the next day and shot it again. Granted, there is a little nib or two in it but I am the only one who cares. Everybody that has seen it thinks it was done in a paint shot. I have painted three more bikes since mine, one a shade of red and one a dark blue and one a dark red. On lighter shades of paint and multi colored parts a coat of sealer will help. Nason is a cheap paint, but seems durable . I have had no problems with it. just my two cents.

later................
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=P1010012.jpg
There are some very talented and devoted people here full of all kinds of friendly advice.
Paco real nice job!!!!!

MM thanks a lot for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help me out and I love your website.

I was out in my shop to check out my spray guns and for some reason I can only find the HVLP gun
It is an Accuspray with #9-10 and 11 atomizing sets. It is powered by a turbowith a big hose.
Is this something I can use?? Or should I borrow a gun from a friend and go the high pressure setup?
I am probably going to go with the Nason paint.
I missed out on the tank I need this morning by less than a minute![]

Someone wanted to know where I am located. I am in Western Massachusets in the foothills of the beautiful Berkshire mountains. Nearest traffic light is 10 miles!!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:10 PM
mmpp71
Intermediate

I dont use accuspray guns so I dont know the settings but any HVLP guns are the way to go. You will need to ask someone who uses accuspray guns for the right setting. Other guns sata, devilbas, binks etc... set at around 40 psi for base coat 55 - 60 psi for clear about 55 psi for single stage. This will allow the paint to atomize real good and you will have less orange peel. Cover everything you dont want ruined in your garage.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:07 PM
paco
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks fellows for the compliments,

I just have to trydifferent stuff because I can't afford to pay someone else to do it. Here is the other bikes I mentioned, the blue is the bike i bought for my last gfriend and the red is aa friend of mine that I was practiceing on. I have had a lot of people that would let me "pratice" on their bikes. mmpp71, there is no one in the area that I could observe that does trick stuff comparable to you. There is a place about 60 miles that is pretty good, but I can't go in and watch what they do. ASnyway, great stuff, like I said previously.

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=P1010199.jpg

later............................

Old 02-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,718 Likes on 1,350 Posts

I don't understand why chicks want training wheels. Anyway, I think you're doing great, paco. This is my last amateur paint job:

just after the EFI conversion. It was base-coat, clear-coat. There's a little orange peel that I could wet sand out, but I think it looks good and my wife likes it. Looks like a giant piece of turquoise, which is exactly what she wanted.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:53 PM
mmpp71
Intermediate

The pics of your other work look great also. Heres a pic or two of the latest set I finished today.

[IMG]local://upfiles/51717/CDF1D35612BD405BAB1AD44D391928A6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-28-2008, 03:08 PM
gottahavvitt
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: mmpp71

The pics of your other work look great also. Heres a pic or two of the latest set I finished today.

[IMG]local://upfiles/51717/CDF1D35612BD405BAB1AD44D391928A6.jpg[/IMG]
That is so SUHWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep it between the ditches

Old 02-29-2008, 01:51 AM
td17056
Advanced

Paco,

Great Work!!!

Son of a gun!! All!! What a Great thread!! I had been collecting extra tins to paint, till I priced it!! Then sorta just forgot about it, now all of you have renued my interest!!

Maybe the Ol White Dresser will change yet!!

Thanks Everyone!!
Tom

Old 02-29-2008, 06:47 AM
paco
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dr Hess,

I didn't understand why she wanted them either, but she kept falling over on the bike. then i would try to explain the fundamentals of riding the bike, which add insullt to injury. I thought that everyone was born knowing how to ride a motorcycle and i assure you I am no teacher by any strech of the imagination. so, I built the setup you see on the blue bike. She could then ride it and it didn't fall over. That left her free to think about changing gears, watching the car in front of her, putting on the brakes, using her signals and stopping at a red light upright. She assured me that she was going to learn how to ride the bike without the training wheels in the future. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

later....................................

Quick Reply: Need paint help